Tuning Peg/Itomaki Question: Hole Placements

Hey guys, a couple of you might remember me from way back haha. tl;dr many things have happened but I’m back now and have plenty of time to learn to play the shamisen again! woohoo! :smiley:

As I was restringing my shamisen…
So my ichi no ito tuning peg I know is correct: it’s got the largest hole and is the closest to the grip end of the peg.

But the other two are confusing me. I know which peg goes in where since one of the two is unable to fit into the lowest position. But when I put the two in this order, both of the holes are on the left side. I find this odd, especially when in the stringing video, of the two hole placement situations explained, this situation is never mentioned.

So my questions are: is it fine/okay to have both the ni no ito and san no ito strings strung from the left side of their respective itomaki?
If so, which string should be strung on which itomaki (I assume ni on middle and san on lower?)?
And if not, we must talk Kyle (insert evil laugh here)

Thanks for your time! :slight_smile:

Ah i was wondering where you were one day :smiley:
Good to have you back!

As to the question i’ll let someone else handle this :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah i was wondering where you were one day :smiley:
Good to have you back!

As to the question i’ll let someone else handle this :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks, it’s great to be back!

…but your answer scares me a little lol.

Welcome back home bro! If there’s any good stories in your tl;dr, feel free to share! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s my insight.

When looking at the top of the tenjin, the ichi no ito hole is right side, and the string ends up on the left side when wound. If the hole was on the left side and the string was meant to end up on the left side, then there’d be a problem.

In the case of the two thinner strings: The holes are on the left side. One string is to end up in the middle and the other is to end up on the right.

Since both strings will end up away from the holes, frankly, who cares? :wink: In my opinion, it’s purely a matter of preference.

When looking at the top of the tenjin, the ichi no ito hole is right side, and the string ends up on the left side when wound. If the hole was on the left side and the string was meant to end up on the left side, then there’d be a problem.

In the case of the two thinner strings: The holes are on the left side. One string is to end up in the middle and the other is to end up on the right.

Since both strings will end up away from the holes, frankly, who cares? :wink: In my opinion, it’s purely a matter of preference.

Excellent, thanks for teh intel. I wasn’t sure if it was a problem or not, just wanted to make sure. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Now it’s finally time for practice wahoo!

Welcome back home bro! If there’s any good stories in your tl;dr, feel free to share! :stuck_out_tongue:

lol hmmmm, none that I can say in public kekeke
jkjk just a bunch of school. I’m in school still, but now I’m just managing my time a lot more effectively, so now I got time to explore my interests :slight_smile:
I’m actually considering taking Wing Chun, a Chinese martial art, classes as well soon too!