Tuning pegs slipping

My tuning pegs slip very easily.
How can i make them stop slipping?

Use an alarm clock. Sorry, bad Scandinavian joke :slight_smile:

1. Are you pressing the peg when turning it?
  2. Make sure you always tune up (to a higher pitch) when performing the final adjustment as this tightens instead of loosening up the peg.

If you have old pegs they might need to apply some sticky residue. I’m not one to give advice regarding what to use to make them stick better but I think “resin” was discussed in an earlier thread. Try searching for that here on our forums and you should find the thread.

Though it might not work in this case, I find that a little plasticine on the pegs makes them move more smoothly when sticky and conversly seems to help, at times, when the are a little loose. It’s an old-ish violin makers trick. If there is room on the peg it could also help to re-shave/shape them. It seems to me that wood pegs can deform somewhat over time. A few thoughts for’ya.

I usually give strong pressure from peg into inside while screwing it and at the same time push from a right angel to the smaller part of the peg inside. In that case the peg stays there for a while.
Karl: what exactly does the joke mean? I am so interested especially in bad jokes.

Well, the word “slip” in Swedish is pronounced almost like “sleep”. The word doesn’t really translate to Danish though because it is “slibe” I think, so the joke was quite awful actually.

Use an alarm clock. Sorry, bad Scandinavian joke :slight_smile:

1. Are you pressing the peg when turning it?
  2. Make sure you always tune up (to a higher pitch) when performing the final adjustment as this tightens instead of loosening up the peg.

If you have old pegs they might need to apply some sticky residue. I’m not one to give advice regarding what to use to make them stick better but I think “resin” was discussed in an earlier thread. Try searching for that here on our forums and you should find the thread.

maybe some chalk like on tining peg for a violin rather resin ?

Karl, I laughed pretty well at your joke :stuck_out_tongue:

And, as you said, rosin can be used. It is basically rosin used on violin bows.

Just grind a small piece until you have some powder and put it on the hole, then add the itomaki and test. It will be much better.

maybe some chalk like on tining peg for a violin rather resin ?

There are some things like peg drops and some kind of peg paste.

But I still prefer rosin, it is cheaper and easy to use.

Also, try not to mess with it too much. Your hands will become sticky :wink:

Toothpaste!
Although I’ve never actually tried this myself I seem to remember hearing some convincing testimony in the past that applying a little bit of toothpaste to the itomaki helps improve the likelihood of it staying in tune and not sleeping . . . er, um… Slipping!

I’ve used “Peg Drops Liquid Peg Compound” for my wooden guitar pegs. Haven’t tried it on the shamisen (yet), but I’m sure it will work. Its one of several remedies sold primarily for violin-family instruments. More info here: http://www.lutherie.net/care.html (scroll down to the “Pegs” heading).

I used the chalk I got for climbing. You know the stuff that cool climbers put on their hands when they start to sweat?
Worked pretty well for me.
Made quite a mess in my room though…

Maybe if you combine it with Kevin´s toothpaste idea… Omg LOL, DON`T do that!