Use of shamisen in modern music

I’ve a question: tsugaru-jamisen is very used when covering modern music (pop, rock. etc.) and I’m asking why hasn’t someone tried to do something with the other shamisen types?
Thank you!!! :slight_smile:

Yes.

Smoke on the water?
It’s kinda like a rock song becomes a feather/Japanese folk song

Haha that’s a good one . . . :slight_smile:

But I don’t know what types of shamisen are used in this version… maybe nagauta?

You’re right, Sakura. Nagauta.

But why did the players say yuuuuu? Or something like this?

They have been used -

nagauta

minyou(?)

kouta

These are master (or higher) level artists, and many of those pieces display a high level of originality. Just because tsugaru has become all the rage and perhaps goes best with modern styles like rock and rap, doesn’t mean that the other shamisen traditions are not evolving and being taken into new directions as well.

You can also find videos on youtube with biwa used to play modern music (even modern music other than enka).

Not at all starting a fight, but what about shamisens is not “modern?” The instrument isn’t frozen in time, in my opinion. Certainly, some people would have it that way, but I can think of a lot of shamisen players who are pushing the instrument and the music forward.

I use a nagauta for original rockish music.

Though it is an issue of semantics (and probably completely irrelevant to Haru’s post, so apologies), it is worth noting that tsugaru isn’t particularly ancient.

Though, it is rooted in older forms, but didn’t become what we identify as “tugaru” until relatively recently. In the end, rock music is much the same being rooted in west african musical forms.

Music is cool.

I want to start a project combining traditional and modern music and I am searching for someone who can play biwa. The problem is players do not accept the diversity…
We are looking everywhere to find someone, But no results. I am only 15 years old, But it does not matter for music

The project is unpaid

I cannot find videos of biwa players playing modern stuff…

I found a video of a contamination between biwa, violin and kabuki percussions