Used Tsugaru from Etsy Needs Repair- Any Advice?

Hello all, I am a new member here. My name is Paul. I took the plunge last night and ordered a used Tsugaru that has a couple of problems. The dog skin on the top is torn and the Sao will need some repair and is missing the Sawari.
Total cost to ship to the U.S. is $595.
I have bought Kyle’s book and the templates for making your own Shamisen.
I may still attempt to build my own Shamisen, but this will give me something to compare against.

Let me know what you think of this purchase.
Here are some initial questions:

1. What material do you recommend I reskin the Dou with?
  2. If I am changing one side for the leather is it better to do both sides at the same time?
  3. Should I add lacquer inside the Dou or try to add Ayasugi when I remove the skin?**
  4. Is there an electronic pickup that you would recommend I could install in the Dou?
  5. Can I install the pickup on one of the inner sides of the Dou or is it better to tape to the top outer skin?
  6. I may want to add some guitar type strap pins. Any suggestions on location and type?
  7. Do you have suggestions for cases?

Here are the seller’s details for the purchase:
Description: Style: Tsugaru Shamisen, built in 1984.
Skin Condition: Kawa (Skin) broken at the frond side, and good but worn at the back.
General Condition:
All the wood is in great condition, with the exception of a repaired crack at the Tenjin junction to the Sao (read below).
All metal parts are in great condition, but may require new polishing periodically. We will ship it polished to a shine.

About the damage:
The previous owner attempted to install a Sawari screw setup, but failed and cracked the wood.
The Sao has been carefully glued again, restoring integrity. However, a new Sawari needs to be installed to cover the hole.
There are minor scratches at the area of the sawari and junction of Tenjin and Sao, but minor, and not very noticeable.
Dimension:
Sao (Neck) Length: 108 cm / Thickness 28 mm
Body size: 22,5 cm x 24 cm x 9,7 cm.
Free Acessories: Koma (bridge) x2, Training Silent Koma, Ito x8 (strings: 5 thin, 2 medium, 1 thick), Doukake (body protector), Ebiokake (Tenjin protector), Yubikake (finger guard), Neo (knot), Nagafukuro (bag).

My Japanese wife thinks the note inside the Dou (see reply below) says Mr. Abe already paid (odaizumi). There is a Sao case. There is Dog skin? (Inu Hyou Shi?). Showa 59 = 1984.
She is not sure of the exact meaning of the highlighted kanji in the picture.

1 Like

writing

You’ve picked up quite a wonderful sale, here! Comes with a lot of accessories and the shamisen is in very good condition despite the problems it has.

1 Like

Thanks Matsubusa. I am looking forward to having my first Shamisen.

1 Like

Received a shipping notification…

Now I need to get serious about reskinning my Shamisen…

1 Like

Received my Shamisen today from Japan.
The seller wrapped all of the items in the package very well and included little packets of desiccant with each part… Seems to be a very reliable seller…

I really like it except for the split Tenjin that needs repair and that I will need to redo the joint for the Kamizao and Tenjin to remove all of the old glue, but retain a tight fit… This will be a challenge for me to repair.

Here is the link for that discussion:

I think I can do the reskin job, but I will have to make the spider jig with clips first… I have white goat skin on order.

Here is the link for that discussion:

These note markers don’t seem to be stickers but look like only paper…

How do I attach or use this?

1 Like