What Equipment I Will Need To Build A Shamisen?

Hi, I am new to this forum. This is my first post.

I have been interested in Shamisen for a long while. I learned about this instrument from my sister’s textbook for Asian Music class in her college. GuQin was the first instrument I learned after my spark of interest in Asian music (rare for Asians in my generation). My mother also played Gu Zheng. I wasn’t able to play GuQin because it is very hard instrument to learn.
The muscial band Rin’ had brought me more interest to learn about this instrument. My favorite style is Naguata and Tsugaru.

Most shamisen I came across is way too unaffordable for me. My Japanese friend in Japan tried to find one without any luck. After knowing about Kyle Abbott’s book, I am thinking of making one myself. Being a cat and dog lover gives me another reason into making my own, it would be weird to play shamisen near my cats and dog.

First, I need to buy the book (saving up money for this). Second, the most important question is what equipments I need to use to build one. Any special wood-making tools or those I can find in Home Depot? The tools for stretching the skin is quite obvious, I shouldn’t have much trouble building a skin stretcher with lots of patient.

Please gives me advice.

Here’s my list of “go-to” tools:

• metal rulers (6"=150mm, 39"=1m)
  • try-square
  • band saw and drill press (find a friend with tools you can use)
  • power hand drill and bits
  • Japanese dozuki saw (fine tooth, for hardwood crosscuts)
  • chisels (at least 1/8" & 1/2" or larger)
  • wood rasps (2nd cut & smooth)
  • wood scraper blades (rectangular and curved)

Other “nice to have” tools:

• Forstner-type drill bit (3/4"=19mm, for hollowing out the dou/body)
  • cello peg-hole reamer

Hi Louis!

Welcome to Bachido! Thank you for writing a bit of your personal history about getting into these instruments. :slight_smile: I heartily encourage you to make your own. With patience and attentiveness, you can do it!

I agree with Dan’s list. For wood rasps, I like using a farrier rasp file for rounding, as it can smoothly take off a lot of wood with little effort. (Well, at least not as much back-and-forth movement as finer rasp files) Also, you can see a list of the tools I recommend in one of the sample pages of the book (http://bachido.com/products/shamisen-of-japan/preview#p13)

Keep us posted on your progress! :slight_smile:
Kyle

Wonderful, Louis!

Totally with Kyle re: the hoof rasp. I use one on all the instruments I make at some point. Great for taking lots of material off with the rough side and it’s surprising how smooth a finish you can get from the fine side especially if you try different angles of the rasp on the wood to get the best effect. I’m a barefoot hoof trimmer myself and most barefoot trimmers will toss their rasps when they loose some of their power but they are still totally great for woodworking when they are at that stage. So if you know of any farriers, you might want to see if they’d pass on their rasps. Most will give them to you for free. Indeed, my trimming teacher told us to pass on our rasps to woodworkers we know.

And also Dan’s thoughts, most excellent!

I myself love a spoon chisel for hollowing out the Dou body.

Have a blast. It’ll be so thrilling when you play your first notes on your new self-made beauty!
Cheers
Cath