What if the skin break or rips on the Shamisen?

Lets say if the skin of the shamisen breaks or rips. Do you have to replace the whole instrument or you can just get the skin repaired? If so where do you go or send it to a certain shop to get the skin repaired?

You only have to replace the skin. I f you send it to a shop in Japan it can cost up to $300, or you can get Kyle’s book and learn to do it yourself. The only downside to learning to do it is you can’t get dog or cat skin it is illegal to import. You can use calf or goat, you can get it from Mid-East.com. It will not sound as good, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper. Another option is to ask someone on forum who can skin it for you. I know Kyle can (duh) lol. I can as well there may be others not sure. e-kamaya.com is one shop that can repair that comes to mind there are other just can’t remember at the moment. hope this helps if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

I can send it to Kyle? didn’t know that. Hold on - what animal skin is on the Shamisen? like a standard one. . .

I wonder if Kyle charges a lot for the repair. What about you how much do your charger? (Jessica)

if its a nagauta style it’s usually cat I think, but for tsugaru I think it’s dog. Not sure about Kyle you would have to send him a message and ask. I would charge around $75-100 as a guestimate and depends on what type of shamisen you have.

what!?! they use cat skin - that weird. is that the reason why the skin looks small. Hold on your telling me they skin every cat or dog to make a shamisen. I kinda feel bad in some way (because) I have cat

I’m not sure how the process works for skins, but yes cat and dog are traditionally used for the best sound. I really like cat’s and dogs and could not imagine playing a tune on one, so I would rather use calf skin. Yes it is still animal but a lot less cute. There is always synthetic skins they last a long time, but still don’t sound as good.

I deeply appologize in advance if I offend any of you cat/dog lovers out there with what I am about to say but let me preface by admitting to you all that I have (and take care of) two dogs and two cats currently and I love them with all my heart.

The idea of using animal skin for a musical instruments is an extremely old practice in the cultural history of mankind. African drums, Japanese Shamisen etc.
One day I was talking to Masahiro Nitta about it and he gave me some words that encouraged me to look at it in a different way. . .

Long ago when people didnt have much it was common to use everything available to survive and thrive. When a beloved pet would die, instead of throwing away the body it was more practical to use the bones, skin etc. for tools, clothing, whatever. The mindset at that time was that by doing so the spirit of the beloved animal will be felt and present and honored and the animal itself will reach a happy place knowing that even its flesh and bones are serving the people who
took care of it during it`s life on earth.

The African drummer often says things like “When I beat the skin of this drum the spirit of the animal is called forth and sings through the beats and rhythms!”

Of course I know this modern world is quite different (what Shamisen player today can actually say they “Knew” the dog whose skin they are using right?) but still it`s good to connect with the spiritual aspect and try to understand the origins of the practice before resorting to “Feeling bad” about it .

Instead when we play Shamisen I think it is good to acknowledge within our souls that we are producing music on a living instrument. The wood, the skin, the silk, the turtle shell-bachi. It all comes from living entities and when we strike a string to produce a sound it could bring more depth to the sound if we silently give thanks to all the life that made this music possible and strive to make our playing worthy of the sacrifices of these creatures.

In fact I think this is one of things that makes Shamisen unique.

No offense taken here I completely understand, and if I ever get a Tsugaru shamisen (currently stuck with Hosozo) and it happens to have cat/dog skin It will be highly regarded.

Thank you Jessica,
Im relieved to know you get my point. This can sometimes be the touchiest of subjects when discussing Shamisen and its structure.

Thank you for sharing that with us Kevin K.

Oh I have a question to (Kevin K.) - When you first learned the Shamisen (did you have any experiences with the guitar?) because when I watched your videos - you played a lot of American Music (AC/DC was my favorite of all)

HaHa. Well I try to draw inspiration on Shamisen mostly from instruments other than guitar. I would say the majority of what I try to create on Shamisen has influence from classical violin, Indian Sitar, even piano music. When I was quite young I played the cello and that definately has an effect on my Shamisen playing. As for guitar, its ironic that you ask because lately I actually have been sitting down and practicing a LOT of guitar. I dont know why. Just seems right for the moment. (Oops…should I admit that here on Bachido?) Anyway thanks for posting!
p.s. Playing Ac/Dc was more or less a joke. I did it for laughs and because noone else had done it yet up to that time…(also because I like Ac/Dc Haha!!)

Same here. I love AC/DC songs. If it’s not too much do you have the song notes (translated notes) on the shamisen for the AC/DC’s songs?

To be honest. When I watched your videos it made more tempted to play the Shamisen and (also the Yoshida Brothers too) - I would love to learn how to play “Kodo” on the shamisen but there aren’t any note references online =p

Hopefully - with practice I can become a decent Shamisen Player (I don’t know any Shamisen Players on the East Coast)

Kevin Ho,
certainly! If you are signed up to youtube could you contact me there at the shamisendemon channel ?(not shamikami) with a personal message.
If you have a fax number or access to a fax machine I could write it out on paper and send it over to you. (sorry I don`t currently have any musical score creating software so it would be easier for me to fax it if possible).

A short question Kevin, since you seem to be active here at the moment. When you hear a song you like and want to learn it, which tuning are you using? Personally I would use San Sagari because the string intervals are like on a guitar and also good if you want have as many different tones as close together as possible. I’m just a beginner at shamisen and have noticed that when I play in San Sagari it doesn’t sound as good as Niagari. Obviously a part of this has to do with the resonance not working as well with open strings.

Any comments/thoughts?

Karl Hedlund,

Hey thanks for the communication/question!
Well being a creature of habbit I would say 99% of anything non traditional
I have ever learned has been in Ni agari. Not to say that is the best choice for every piece but as you have noted it just seems to sound better with the resonance. Pretty much the only time I use San Sagari tuning is when I am playing
“San Sagari” (traditional Tsugaru) or Yasaburo bushi. But even Yasaburo I prefer to do in ni agari. I have been critisized by traditionalists for that but you know, I just don`t like Yasaburo in San Sagari tuning. I always hear a harmonic clash even though that is how you are “Suppose to” play it.

I think in the end we should all accept the fact that we all hear things in our own way and interpret musical intervals in our own way as well. I don`t think anyone can definatley say there is a right or wrong way to tune the Shamisen for any specific piece ( Again I am speaking primarily about non traditional material) so if San Sagari works better for you, then you should probably just go with the flow at least for a while…!

I in general find such cultural background bits and pieces always interesting since often enough one or the other thing that may seem weird at first got sound reasoning behind it in the present considering different circumstances or at least a history that makes its coming into being understandable . . .

as for my not having to consider skin choice so far tuning preference I enjoy san sagari on the stick pictured :slight_smile:

I will probably stick with Niagari then. I was just thinking that my newbie technique had an impact on the sound, but if you feel the sound is better on Niagari as well I feel confident that it simply is so :slight_smile:

I have listened to so much music that I want to make shamisen versions of, but I find myself wanting to focus on technique when I get the time to play because then I will be able to make better covers later.

Just got my Zoom Q3 Handy Recorder with stereo mics. Will be uploading a video for you all to review soon :slight_smile:

Thanks Karl! Can`t wait to check out your upload!

Hi Kevin, ohisashiburi!
I just wanted to thank you for your words here on the use of natural materials – very moving and well put! Chikuzan said something to the same effect, that we should honor the animals (and insects and trees) that go into making the shamisen. Given that synthetic skins and bachis are still such poor substitutes (though I think we can get by pretty well without ivory tuning pegs!), giving us neither the sound nor the feel of dog skin and tortoiseshell, all we can do is be respectful of the instrument and mindful of what it took to make it.

Hey Gerry! Thanks! I have been meaning to get back in touch with you to see how you are doing.