Where do the cat skin used to skin shamisen come from?

So as I am preparing to buy a real Nagauta or Jiuta shamisen, and graduating from my wooden Sanshin, I have a question about the Cat skin used from Shamisen. I have heard a few answers, but I’m not sure if they are all true. One is that they come from somewhere like small villages in Thailand and Vietnam, the other thing I hears was that they come from people who catch stray cats. Can anyone tell me which answer is true, or if neither is true, the actual true answer. Honestly, it won’t affect my purchase. I am a cat lover, but I believe killing a cat is no different than killing a rabbit. But, I’m curious. xD

I heard that their animal shelters are so full that they have to put down many of the animals. So instead of just putting them down and cremating them like here in the states, they create beautiful instruments. This is for both cat and dog skins.

I read something about that too. Thanks for the reply

my shamisen sensei told me that they use skin from wild cats that have died naturally. i like to believe that because i would hate to think otherwise. :-/

Actually, the skins came from dogs/cats prepared to be eaten.

Update: As of this year, production of the skin has completely ended, due to the lowering skin quality as well as being banned from the countries it was made in. All remaining cat/dog skin in Japan will be gone in a year or two. I think this is great news, as FiberSen (and a new synthetic skin called Ripple) sound identical to natural skin. No need for that practice to continue.

I’m glad to hear that, Kyle. As a cat owner and lover, the thought of cat skin (probably even on my own shamisen) makes me cringe and sad.

Before its too late, Kyle, you should release a limited edition “Fender Kittycaster” model shamisen on Bachido. It’d be a great first step into the dark and seedy underground world of the illegal fur trade. Make sure to only use the most exotic and majestic wild cats… I would consider coating the wood in lobster soul as well… Might increase the value right?

Meanwhile, in the deep woods of Arkansas:

“Welp, Billy-Bob, Best start sendin’ them thar’ coonskins off t’tha Land o’ tha’ Risin’ Suuuun! Hyuck Hyuck!!”

Seriously, though. Why not use Raccoon skin? 'Merican Tanuki Kawa! :wink:

Back to this, it looks like the Osaka City Government supplies small makers in Osaka’s Naniwaku, who are probably making the skins, though this can’t be confirmed. It appears that no one really knows who exactly is making the skins. You can’t just go and visit a skin maker.

It is hard to say who gets what out of the deal, but there has to be some sort of corrupt connection between suppliers (likely Osaka City) and makers.

Knowing that town well, and that particular area of town, i can’t imagine that any aspect (physical or monetary) of the whole practice is all that pretty.

Imported skins form Thailand are quite bad apparently, due the hot weather and unhygienic conditions. Out of a batch of Thai dog and cat skin, only 20% or so is usable, so that the costs of shipping and disposal make the entire process unprofitable. At this point, importation is illegal anyway. The domestic supply chains are long established. i can’t imagine that they’d go away and the local suppliers are probably not crying over the importation ban.

Honestly, I don’t like the idea of using the skin of an animal which used to be a pet. I’d like to move to acrylics at some point but not sure how good they are.