Why are shamisen expensive in general?

This is something I have noticed after comparing prices of sanshin and shamisen. Of course, I do know that there are sanshin that cost $1000+ but you can get by with one that is around $300+. Most Japanese musical instruments I’ve seen online are really expensive such as koto, shamisen, biwa, etc. What are the reasons for this? Materials? cost of making it? demand? I’ve always been curious.

1 Like

That is an excellent question. Personally, I believe it is a combination of supply/demand (with the raw materials as well), and the Japanese business model that “If it costs more, it must be better than something cheaper”, and so that paradigm increases the cost as well.

That’s my theory. Any other thoughts?

1 Like

Is this a koan? I love koans. Why does an iPhone cost four times as much as an Android when they are both made under the same inhuman conditions in a factory in China, Grasshopper? Why does a Big Mac cost $8 in Geneva but only $1.20 in Ho Chi Minh City, Grasshopper? Why do people swoon over eating shrimp but choke when eating grasshoppers, Grasshopper? Oh, sorry, Grasshopper - that last one was a bit close to home.

Kyle nailed it. His is a sound theory.

Well, I mean, good western instruments go for thousands of dollars too, so this is nothing particular to Japan. Even a good violin bow alone can set you back $5,000. It’s a combination of the raw cost of often rare materials, the hours of labor involved in making the instrument, the tools needed to make it, shop upkeep and staff salary, and of course compensation for the years of training it takes to become a master craftsperson. Making a good instrument isn’t like putting together IKEA furniture; it takes skill and artistry. Sure, there’s influence from supply and demand in any commercial transaction, but hand made instruments are works of art that are themselves tools for producing more art. If a painting or a sculpture can be worth millions of dollars, why not a musical instrument?

That said, there is definitely a cap somewhere when it comes to having the best sound quality versus having a totally tricked out instrument. From what I’ve been told, it sounds like ultimately the best sound comes from a combination of the best wood, the best skin, the best strings, and the best construction. After that, things like pretty itomaki, collapsable sao, metal fittings on the joints and whatnot don’t outright affect the sound, though they may have other benefits. (For example, having a collapsable sao makes transportation easier, and metal fittings help protect the joints.) Unfortunately, I haven’t quite figured out where this price cap may be, but I’m pretty sure it’s over $3,000 at least.

Finally, there are cheaper Japanese instruments out there. For example, my first shamisen was around $350-$400. And yes, there is a huge difference in sound quality, durability, and playability between the cheap guys and the expensive guys.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your input. It’s definitely the same with some Chinese instruments as well. The expensive pipas for instance will go for $1000+ and included are materials made from expensive sources (pegs may be made from some kind of animal horn, part of the frets also made from some kind of animal material, the wood, etc.) My teacher has those kinds of fancy pipas and told me it cost her around $1000, while my pipa was around $600 though I was lucky it was made from good quality.

As for the sanshin, I also think that it’s interesting because although there are higher-end sanshins that can cost around the price of a brand new Tsugaru-shamisen, one can get by with sanshins that are around $300-$500. I once contacted an Amami style shamisen shop in Amami and they sell their instruments for around $500. Even those sound just as beautiful.

In terms of quality, in my case, I can only get a shamisen around the $500 price range, can I still enjoy making music on a shamisen made from karin wood? I understand there is a HUGE difference in sound quality but I just want something to jam on that’s at least decent.

Oh, yeah, you can definitely have a lot of fun playing cheaper shamisen! Sorry, didn’t mean to make it sound like you couldn’t. I’d say it’s better to start on a cheaper instrument anyway, since first of all, who knows if you’re gonna end up liking it enough to make the investment worth it, and second, a beginner isn’t going to be getting the best sound out of an expensive instrument anyway. I played my cheapo beginner shamisen for a good while before my teacher and I felt like it was time to upgrade to something better, and even now, with about 5 1/2 years’ experience, I’ve still got a middle-class instrument. Work within your budget for now, and you’ll know when it feels right to make a bigger investment.

When it comes to lighter wood, I think your main differences will be that the sound will be a little bit duller, and the neck will be more susceptible to wear and tear. Still fine for learning and casual play.

Thanks Jamie! The information was really insightful :slight_smile:

I gotta say though, I think the 79,000 yen tsugaru shamisen from Nichiwagakki is neither cheap nor sounds very good. (In my own opinion, of course) Why is that? Well, this is why I think it leads to the the “high price = better” paradigm. Setting the price of a bottom-end instrument means everything above must have a higher price to show that it has more value than the bottom-end instrument. That leads to the dangerous mindset of, “We can’t charge so little, people will think it’s junk”.

It’s funny. Last year, when I was talking with a contact about having a truly affordable, great sounding shamisen available, they couldn’t even consider the thought of charging so low. Now that we have done so, they are surprised how well it’s been selling, and still can’t understand why!
Granted, we are charging near-base costs, but that said, I think it’s good that we ‘reset’ the paradigm, as the rational of “pricier=better” can easily get out of hand as profit margins increase in an unbalanced way.

Speaking of ‘Beginner’s Shamisen’, I’d highly recommend checking that out, Gabby. It’s not only the most affordable shamisen to start with, the sound is very satisfying. :slight_smile: Though I call it the ‘Beginner’s Shamisen’, it’s enjoyable to play for both beginners and advanced players alike. (http://bachido.com/store/beginner-shamisen)

1 Like

In all of this, perhaps it should be said that even crummy instruments can be made to sound interesting with good technique and recognition of the instrument’s limitations. I own a couple of Martin Backpacker guitars, an instrument nearly universally sneered at by ‘serious’ guitarists, yet I can get sounds out of it that I can’t from any of my other guitars. Plus, I have an excellent excuse for sounding awful when I play the Backpacker - it’s the guitar, not me!

agree absolutely Tomo although I had one as in one other experience also I had tried to figure out one I think pearl jam acoustic guitar intro once and thought I missed something trying to catch it by ear then that guitarist in the clip from a local salzburg county slang band was on visit with an expensive guitar of his and I asked him we had the same thing but it sounded not only simple as it was but great on his guitar . . . even when I played it on that guitar it all of a sudden sounded like the original so that must indeed have been a great guitar :slight_smile: so I guess a great instrument can be helpful but at least in general not necessary I have heard far more examples of skill and expression sounding good on cheap whatever guitars

1 Like
1 Like

Stop, stop, BH - you had me at “local Salzburg country slang band.”

That is as rich as white folk playing shamisen.

I say it also has to do with the fact that the Shamisen is skinned with catskin. I have found some cheap Nagauta and Jiuta Shamisen on Ebay, all of which are usually vintage. I guess Shamisen are of a depreciating value, as most vintage ones go into the 100 dollar range. Plus it’s on Ebay, so it’s going to be cheaper. Of course, a lot of them have broken skin, but there are some people, like Jessica Dowd, who will reskin a shamisen for you