Winter purchase of Beginner Shamisen?

Hey there.

I was hoping to get myself a little Christmas gift and buy into the beginner shamisen - I’ve played guitar for a few years and I’ve always enjoyed the sound of the shamisen, so I feel I could pick it up well.

The issue is that I live in the cold center of Wisconsin - the time it will take to ship to reach me (especially for Christmas) means that it will be cold outside, and I believe the skin is fragile to extreme weather? I wouldn’t be surprised to see the temperature below freezing, though I’m not sure how the weather will develop.

Should I wait until spring to have it bought and shipped to myself, or will the weather not affect the instrument in its shipping form?

Hi Seth
My guess is that it would be ok. It will likely be well packaged up and in that a little protected from the weather. To me the main issue with weather changes and instruments is really fast changes. I’d say emailing Kyle (or maybe he’ll contribute here) should get you all the definitive answers you need.

Hi Seth!
Thanks for your message. That’s a great question. Honestly, I’m not sure what the risk would be of having the shamisen arrive in such cold weather. Of course, it is chilly in Japan now, so it wouldn’t be going from one extreme to the other. Catherine has a lot of experience making and playing shamisen in the cold Canadian winters. So, if she thinks it’ll be safe, I’m sure wouldn’t be a problem. But like sending anything overseas, there’s always a risk.

Long story short (too late), I guess we can say there’s a high chance that it would arrive just fine, but there’s a smaller but still real chance that it could break. But I guess that’s always the case. :wink: (to note, no Beginner’s Shamisen have broken in transit as of yet)

O yeah, for sure i’ve had my shamisen in my big tent in sw alberta down to around -10 or -15 (celsius that is) and there was no problem. When I was at the banff centre I used to try some playing in the street, (some psychotic idea I had to try and feel something of what it might have been like to be a Goze in the winter in old Japan. You know, like in the 2008 movie Ichi) it was winter time but to be honest, I would never go out unless it was above -5 and sunny and no wind. I generally could keep going for an hour but after about three or four times out, the town lawkeepers (not police) came and told me that I needed a license and it would cost almost $200 for that so I ditched that idea altogether.

Once the town was having a celebration, something about welcoming the snow in november 2 years ago (!) and it was -20 that night. They hired me to play that evening. My shamisen was fine but I wasn’t. I lasted about 15 minutes. There was a bon fire nearby but it didn’t seem to really help much. I also had to walk down and back and that would have been a good 25 minutes each way in the cold, so that was probably a good 2 hours with my shamisen exposed in pretty cold weather.
No no, that’s not quite it. actually they had a stage that has those propane heaters around it, but the sound system broke down when I was supposed to go up and so for my bit, rather than not play at all, I went down with common folk (you know, the riff raff) by the fire and played there. Never give up, never surrender! I made a sweet $100 though. Canadian dollars mind you so you know what that means…

Hmm. short story long… as Oscar Wilde (I think maybe) once said, ‘I would have written a shorter letter but I didn’t have the time’.

Ha ha ha! That’s an awesome tale, Catherine! I am glad it was not shorter. I wouldn’t want to have missed a word!

Yeah Cheers Catherine!

Good tales and information, thanks for the help you two!