Working on my Aiya

Hey guys, just put up a new video and I’d love to hear your thoughts on it! I’ve been working on my Tsugaru Aiya Bushi for a while since getting back from Japan, and I thought I’d record my progress a bit. This version is not a kyokubiki, but more of a practice for utatsuke, so as if playing along with a singer. (It does have an extended intro, though.)

There are a few messy strikes here and there, and I think I’ve oversimplified the rhythm a bit in this take, but overall I feel like it’s a good starting point to try and refine the piece. Let me know what you think!

Oh, and sorry about the sound quality. It really is shit. I seriously need to get a real mic…

1 Like

Very good!! I especially like the dynamic contrasts withint the various phrases. As a solo performance of Aiya bushi I feel the only thing it’s lacking is an underlying excitement. Not saying you’re performance is boring or anything like that but I really like when aiya bushi performances seem to build up to some kind of climax. Slight increases in tempo and saving the loudest strikes for later on as the peice develops might be a few ideas to play around with.

Damn those are some nice Hajikis! Keep up the good work! One thing I can see is that your Shami has such a nice dou, I would say really pronounce your mae-bachi, get it right on on the wood to have a big dynamic contrast between the rich ushiro-bachi and the light tick of the mae-bachi.

I think you’ve put a lot of work into it, and I really like your phrasing, has a really good feel to it. The mae-bachi will help it really shine! Can’t wait to hear it with a real mic!

Ok, well I’m off to work on Aiya bushi now,
Thanks for being so inspiring, Jamie!!

Thanks for the advice, guys! Kevin, I see what you’re saying, but I’m having trouble figuring out how to apply it to an utatsuke kind of thing. I suppose I could definitely work it into the intro, but could you elaborate a bit more? Maybe I’m missing something here…

And Travis, thanks for pointing that out. That always happens; I start out with an earnest contrast between ushiro and mae-bachi, but then I get lazy as the piece goes on. Sometimes video really helps to see how things you think you have down could still use some work. I’ll try to sharpen it up!

Ah! That’s right! This is an Utazuke arrangement. Makes more sense. I was comparing it to solo performances that I really like. In the case of Utazuke your main goal is to follow the singer so there would be less freedom in that regard. I’m sure you will want to create your own solo Aiya bushi at one point so I think when that time comes you can think about bringing out more personal expression. Anyway keep up the Great work Jamie. Next video you post has to be you and a singer doing this!

You wanna be my singer, Kevin?

Haha! Sure!

June 28th, Kevin~Jamie debut at the Bachido Taikai? :slight_smile:

Nice playing, Jamie! Your technique is so solid, even the mic’s quality can’t hide that. I would agree with Kevin that adding some dynamics in intensity would be pretty cool, but of course, you’re focusing on the utazuke part, it’s all good. :slight_smile:

Actually though, I believe changes in intensity is also viable when playing with a singer. For example, when the singer is singing a section low in her range, she will get quieter to be able to clearly maintain a low pitch. Thus, that’s a part where the shamisen should also drop in volume as not to overpower the singer.
On the same hand, when the melody goes to the higher octave, the singer is going to belt it out louder to reach those high notes, and thus that is a part where the shamisen player can lay the hammer down a bit more, as it were. So, dynamics are actually quite present when collaborating with a singer.

And let’s never forget…

Anywho, good stuff!

Um… Yeah! Paul Stanley must’ve needed some cash in a hurry or something.

Ouch! Are you telling me you wouldn’t gladly sing about coffee while watching leotarded acrobatics?

Those are some good tips, Kyle! Thanks! Now I just need to find some singers…