Yasumi Miyazawa - master of kouta

I suppose somebody’s already bumped to this guy. Worth a second look it seems - basically a kouta artist, but it doesn’t end there…

That is so weird - the musicians couldn’t see him until he took of his mask :wink:

Here’s another impressive piece from the guy:

Why it stands out?

1. Nice personal japanese style
  2. Still catches the original feeling
  3. It’s cover of electronic/tekno music - a tradition that doesn’t seem to influence shamisen genres (a highly regrettable state of affairs!)

Tomo, interesting observation! I didn’t even notice it’s an eva mask (thought it’s a kitsune, fox, mask) - wasn’t paying attention… I’m at a loss what’s the symbolism here, even though I’ve seen the anime series a few times.

Reminds me about the ninja. Did you guys think that ninja in black lyotard (a gross historical inaccuracy) were invented by Hollywood? That’s not correct!

I read it actually comes from kabuki, so attributing it to popular dramatization is spot on, in a fashion :slight_smile: The stage assistants (kouken) apparently used to dress in all black (like the bunraku puppeteers), and of course the audience completely ignores the assistants. By a streak of genius some playwright decided to dress up a ninja in a similar costume - now you had a character that the audience could not see!

always wanted to find a reason for getting into ninja fashion but as a DAY taxi driver it would look weird on duty . . . so after all I bought an australian bush hat instead today for its stylishness in any situation . . .

http://freecarvers.com/bh/ninstyle.jpg