Your favorite contemporary bands using traditional Japanese instruments

Warning - screamo hater alert I’d listen to it if he fixed his singing :wink:

The music was really nice! I was quite impressed by the video as well. I don’t know any good Japanese bands but I guess it’s because I’m not exposed to them. It’s like what they say about Chinese bands. A country that large, and you don’t know one single band… There must be so much music from there that you would like if you heard it.

Kyle: Yeah, Katoh-san gave me a copy of Karma too, and I really liked it as well. I’d recommend both albums.

Liam: I used to listen to Morning Musume. :stuck_out_tongue: For language practice, of course. Then Masako told me that most kids stop listening to it when they enter high school, and I stopped soon after. :wink:

Whoa, Chthonic is awesome. Like Svartsot, (which Karl recommended to me) their use of acoustic instruments fits very well. :slight_smile: It’s inspiring for the idea of combining shamisen with it. Perhaps a bit different, as I plan for shamisen to be up front with the guitars (not lightly sprinkled in like the Pipa).

Unlike Karl, I like their screaming. :stuck_out_tongue: (Maximum the Hormone’s screams were a little… flaccid, imho)

Yeah I have to agree they screams are abit weak. I just love how they change genre 5 times in a song and make it fit and (in my opinion) sound organic and unforced.
Hey man if you wanna to Morning Musume you go for it :stuck_out_tongue:
Doing things your own way has worked out pretty well for you so far :slight_smile:

Oh! Karl recommended this band to me a few days ago. I actually think it would be the perfect selection for our potential shamisen metal cover band.

Because the shamisen would be filling the roles of the guitar, the song/band selection is important. For example, not too shreddy where the notes become slurred (hard to keep notes clean without frets, and also because we’re no Kevin), but not too simple where we’re mindlessly bashing away at the open ichi no ito. This band seems to be just right. A very tasteful (and doable) amount of melody that would be very appropriate to be played on shamisen.

Oh, I actually never played Mo-Musume on shamisen. Just listened to it as I worked. :wink:

I thought it would be fun to share your favorite contemporary bands that use traditional Japanse instruments - not limited to just the Shamisen. Sharing your favorite song(s) from the group would be fun too. These are some of mine:

http://youtu.be/x_CzD0GBD-4
Yoshida Brothers - Rising

http://youtu.be/6fbiFzmmlT0
Yoshida Brothers - Nightmare Revisited - Nabbed

http://youtu.be/e4ZP35I2Pks
Rin’ - Sakura Sakura

http://youtu.be/zi24j5APsHY
AAA - featuring Rin’ - Samurai Heart

I’m sure the Yoshida Brothers are well known by Shamisenites already, I love their blend of rock and Shamisen, and their energy. Rin’ is one of my all time favorites, I love the variety of traditional instruments they use and the variety of music they do too.
Hello!
I listened a song by Yoshida because I saw on YouTube a video of Italian kabuki dancers. It’s very energic!
For AAA (triple a) song, I don’t like it… maybe, I think, more chance to traditional instruments (was there also shamisen or not?) was Yes, it’s ONLY MY OPINION…better…
Wow! It’s very exciting to know about another person who knows Rin’!!! :slight_smile:
I discovered Rin’ two ears ago and I discovered jiuta-shamisen for this reasons!
I’m looking to do a project covering most of Rin’ songs, with some friends: one who plays koto, shamisen (jiuta) and juushichigen (17-stringed koto), one who plays shakuhachi and another who plays biwa… I call them “friends”, but they are people I contacted searching on Internet “koto lessons” etc. This project is called wapop, because we want to do a fusion with wagaku (the Japanese term for traditional music) and pop.
I’m very proud of this! Maybe, it will start last year, but the problem is finding a biwa player! It’s so complicated!
Of course, we’ll do our version of Sakura Sakura…
Sakura Sakura is the first song I heard by Rin’. I discovered this unit for a misunderstanding!

100% anything by Wagakki Band, and their side project, Hanafugetsu. Shamisen, shakuhachi, koto and wadaiko plus western guitar, drums, bass and shigin vocals together are amazing. Hanafugetsu is three of the band’s members, shigin vocals, shakuhachi, koto, and piano.

Enjoy!

Lots of interesting groups I’ve never heard about before. Thank you Evyn for asking the question.

And “Thanks God!”, Ian came up with the first band I had in mind.

I’ll try to listen to this new stuff in the next weeks.

I listened to Wagakki, but I don’t like how the singer sings… I heard shigin, but it’s a bit different, personally… Thoug I like the structure of the songs by Wagakki!
A Rin’ member, Tomoka, made a CD called Meguru Sato, Meguru Kimi. Has anyone got this CD? It’s because I love these songs, but can find only a concert performance on YouTube… oops… :(:(:frowning:

The late Takeharu Kunimoto did some INCREDIBLE stuff playing blues shamisen.

I’m trying to track down some of his CDs, listening to him make a traditional Japanese instrument work so well in American blues was the final push in my decision to start shamisen.

Do you know? Kunimoto’s works are really fantastic! It’s a very very interesting fusion! At the bottom of the second video, I was a bit surprised because the vocals seems somewhat similar to heikyoku… but then I understood it was shamiblues… Do you like my definition?
And I know a koto player, Watanabe Kasumi, who experiments doing rearrangements of various songs on her 25-stringed koto (nijuugo-gen):

Enjoy!

Ah, also… Rin’ I love Rin’ I love Rin’ I love Rin’
What a pity: Rin’ was disbanded in 2009…

My band is awesome.

:slight_smile:

But how many are you?

Three on most nights!

Yeah Wagakkiband and Hanafugetsu are amazing! I’ve been listening to Shamito Nadeshiko with my daughter when I drive her to school. Some rap but I have no idea what they are saying since I don’t understand the language.

I know a Group of hayashi (noh theatre) called Za Goninbayashi. Personally, I don’t like them, because I don’t like hayashi, but I’ll sugest them…

But… the rapper with shamisen!!!

The rapper with shamisen was cool!