Your musical inspirations

Which genre or kind of music has had a profound influence on you? What kind of music would you like to see (and hear) played on shamisen in the 2020s?

For me it was all electronic for a long time, 70’s synth like Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, and so on, going on to the 80’s. A bit of western classical at times too (this was mostly baroque, ie. Vivaldi and Bach stuff).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTzs2TjwQo

Then came the 1990’s and techno hit the musical world like a tsunami. Eventually I ended up with trance: minimalist neo-acid and goa/psy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xYYsomKNIk

In 2000’s my taste pretty much exploded across the board and now it’s vocal music too from tender enka to manly gangsta rap. Not sure if there is any definite influence to my taste from any particular genre.

Come 2010s and the electronic explosion seems to go on. The tools to create music have become commodized. Macbooks seem to outnumber synthesizers on the stage and people are creating distant imitations of japanese music with their home computers using samples and software plugins.

There’s various efforts to modernize shamisen playing traditions, too many to summarize briefly, really. Aki’s ten ten has some quite interesting original stuff for shamisen, and Kevin/Kyle/Mike have pretty much proved western music is playable on shamisen. I like the God of Shamisen style quite a bit. However there’s also been steps to combine shamisen with western orchestral/contemporary classical music.

However shamisen might need to integrate with the increasingly electronic traditions of western popular music. There’s several possible starting points for this. Perhaps you could eg. marry etheric nagauta to the psychedelic synth style of Tangerine Dream. In goa/psy trance they have already sampled tabla and digeridoo heavily, so world instruments are no stranger in the core of western electronic traditions.

Maybe the most obvious entry point for shamisen to make it big in the west would be world music/synthpop groups like Juno Reactor.

didgeridoodo and shamisen and taiko drums maybe that could surely work out :slight_smile:

after a whiskey okay why not I listened to pop only and some instrumental stuff before switching to nine inch nails followed by rage against the machine exclusively for about a year around 1994 and I needed that like bread and since then I like to listen to all kinds of music I’m rather picky as for titles so to speak but it goes across (almost) all genres . . . :slight_smile:

Changes is an unusually good cover version of a song which is also among my pop favorites . . .

Wow! I’m with both you guys for pretty much most of what you mentioned! My musical tastes run from the obvious Tsugaru folk music , Tsugaru Shamisen (my favorite is still Takahashi Chikuzan) and other related Shamisen styles to Electronic (as mentioned above, Tangerine dream etc.) I was heavily inspired by the 80s neo classical Electric Guitar such as Yngwie Malmsteen etc. and spent many years of my youth being heavily into Classical music, Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Handel to name a few of my favorites. As I entered my 20s my classical music tastes began to learn more towards modern composers such as Stravinsky, Debussy, Ravel etc. my favorite was (and still is) Olivier Messiaen. Eventually I got into the serial composers, Alban Berg, Anton Webern and Arnold Shoenberg and also discovered the beautiful chaotic insanity of composers like Karlheinz Stockhausen. Additionally I also got into Rage against the Machine at one point and became addicted! Also love Tupac and most Gangsta Rap! Was a huge Eminem fan for a while (not so much any more) And became enthralled with modern Death Metal at one point too! (my favorite of the death metal genre has been and still is ORIGIN!)
Then came my lenghtly obsession with what one might call Eastern European Gypsy music. Got really into Taraf De Haidoucks and was also a huge fan of Farmer’s Market. I occasionally go on obsessive world music marathons listening to Chinese er uh and pipa music, Vietnamese music, Inidan music (Ravi Shankar etc.) , Irish folk tunes, Bulgarian vocal music etc. etc. etc.

And finally I guess my list of musical influences would never be complete if I didn’t mention the biggest influence of all…my favorite Gal, Japanese J-pop star Kyary Pamyu Pamyu.
As ironic as it may seem (I certainly can’t make sense of it) after a lifetime of Classical, world music, 80s shred guitar, traditional Japanese, Gangsta Rap, Metal and many other styles my favorite music turned out to be the cheesy, corny and often wacky pop songs of Kyary chan.
(I’m actually only a few songs away from having covered her entire catalogue of songs on Shamisen. For what it’s worth…haha.)

My influence came from an Okinawan band called Begin. They play the Sanshin, but it’s similar in sound to a Shamisen, only smaller and no buzzing. Before that, back in 9th grade in 1988 I started teaching myself Japanese knowing I would someday move to Japan. I watched Anime, skareboarded with my friends in San Diego growing up and wanted to marry a beautiful Japanese girl. My other dream was to become an animator trained in Japan making Japanese anime in the USA. All of them came true except the animator part. I then picked up the Sanshin 15-16 years ago while living in Okinawa (I now have 2 of them) and proceeded to learn it and have gotten really good at it over that time. Now I decided to pick up Shamisen “finally” and am converting what I knew from Sanshin to it. I think the Shamisen is much easier to play, especially when being used to a smaller neck on the Sanshin. I’d like to learn how to play 90% of the Depeche Mode album “Some Great Reward” on Shamisen. Someday I’ll be able to do it, I’m just learning scales, chords and modes on the instrument now and hope to bust it out soon. I love classical Japanese music and learned to play the Koto (Chinese 21 string version though) called a Guzheng. I’m a punk/alternative rocker who loves Weezer and can sing, but haven’t attempted any of that style on Shamisen yet. I’m sort of lost swimming in a sea of possibilities right now, but I’m loving every minute of it. As a musician, I want to share my music. If you have a second, here’s a recording (not shamisen related) I made in my basement studio 3 months before I moved back to Japan in 2014. https://app.box.com/s/0ah3wzn7ps7is9yqpo86

I hope Kevin Kmetz and I can meet someday soon just to hang out and rock some Shamisen together!

–Chris

Hell Yeah! Chris, we should Definately meet up soon and play some shamisen, Sanshin or whichever together!

Check your private messages Kevin, I sent you one last night! I look forward to it…