Zagane alternatives

Once I learn how to use my metal lathe I could make my own or possibly sell them on the site here if I can pull something together that is worthy. Having so many projects on the go this may be a while …

In the meantime I can’t bring myself to spend over $100 on such a basic part…is there any cheaper alternatives?

For 6 brass fittings I would expect $30-40. Personally I could care less if they’re brass as long as they look decent and work well.

Hi Karen,

Yeah, $100 are a lot to spend for some metal parts. The high price is mostly a factor to low demand. One of my talented friends is working on making these hardware items for a much lower price.

In the meantime, you could always make your own. Very easy to do. :slight_smile: All the information for making zagane are in my book, Shamisen of Japan - http://bachido.com/products/shamisen-of-japan

I have the book but I don’t get to read it till xmas. Good to know!

If you have a lathe, why not try milling itomaki out of aluminum?

Great idea!..that sounds much easier. Although I don’t like the look it’s light enough and I can always paint it. I could still make it hexagonal by making wooded sleeves. Awesome!

The lone itomaki that came with my beater shamisen is what looks like bone or ivory with an aluminum cap at the bottom, so you get the best of both worlds.