3D printed Shamisen?

Here it is, the first prototype of my 3D printed Shamisen. It needs some modifications (currently working on those).

The Sao needs to be thinned out. Where the Sao connects to the Dou needs to be raised. A notch needs to be put in on the Tenjin for the bit of metal that rests there. The Koma may need to be widened a little with notches added in for the strings. Lastly, the Itomaki need to be angled. Also a split Dou connected with bolts may benefit the sound and is being considered.

WARNING: 3D PRINTING JARGON AHEAD!

It is printed on my AnyCubic Chiron at 0.2 mm layer heights in 3D Solutech silver and black PLA filament at 205c on the hot end and 60c on the build plate. It has a 25% gyroid infill to assist with resonance.

I am going to try resin printing for the Bachi as well as epoxy resin casting to see which works better.

3 Likes

WOAH!! this is MAD cool!! how does it sound/feel? :smiley:

2 Likes

The instrument was strung with fishing line, since I do not have any strings yet, so it did not have the best of sound. But it did sound pretty good. I am modifying the design to correct some issues and I plan to print it out of wood filament (the plastic contains 40% wood) to see if it has a better tone. Overall, it felt and sounded like it was made of plastic.

EDIT: I also need to reprint the Itomaki, as two broke when my toddler knocked it over

Though I would say that for the $50 in materials it cost to make, it could be good for practice.

4 Likes

Hello, I have recently fell in love with the shamisen. I have found a free full 3d printed Tsugaru Shamisen
on Thingivers. Does anyone have a video of what it sounds like? I plan on getting it printed when I get back to school.

And what kind it just out of curiosity?

And does it need a skin on the back? Because I was looking at it and it doesn’t have a back.

That 3D printed shamisen is my creation. I need to get back to it and modify it, but it sounds like a 3D printed shamisen should, if you use fishing line for strings. You would need to skin the back or slice the body in half and print the two halves so that the printed layers form the correct body style.

2 Likes

Okay thank you so how would you half it? I’m okay at designing but dividing something confuses me.

And do you think it would fit on a maker bot 3D printer?

I have went on my tinker cad and designed a pice that could and hopefully fits but I’m kind of scared that I made it too thin and also if I try to make any thicker it could rune the sound of the instrument. How thick do you thing I should make it? It will probably be glued in place with super glue.

Sorry for not replying sooner.

The thickness of the covered part in my design is only 0.4mm thick. If you created a sheet to cover the open side, you would want it to be around that thickness.

Superglue would be your best friend, but you also want to consider an inexpensive soldering iron. Once the glue has set (I use an accelerator on my super glue to speed this up) use the soldering iron on the edges to melt the two pieces together. This gives it a stronger bond.

And will it fit on a Makerbot, I am not sure. It would depend on the build plate size. I used an AnyCubic Chiron to make mine, the build plate is 400mm by 400mm. If you bring the model into your slicer, it should tell you if it will fit.

As far as tone, remember that this is plastic and will sound as such. Wood carries with it a different resonance for musical instruments.

Okay thank you, sorry for hurrahing you for questions. I hope you have a great day and be safe.

Please, ask as many questions as you desire. I love answering questions about 3D printing. I have 9 of them in my house, 3 resin printers and 6 FDM printers

Cool, thanks for all your help. I have divided it in half and I hope it will turn out alright.

I hope I can soon get me a 3D printer but the prices are so high.

Do you know how long it is?

Does the Dou need infill or does it need to be hollow? I’m printing the top half today and hopefully the bottom tomorrow.

It is the size of the Shamisen that is mentioned in the book by Kyle Abbott, I used all the measurements from that book to design. The Duo will need an infill, I think I used 25% gyroid infill for resonance

Well I have started printing so I hope it come out alright

Do you think there is a way you can post a video of what it sounds like? If you have time.