Amazing carving inside an antique shamisen

Ever wanted to see inside a shamisen? Well, now you can!

This is a very special instrument that was gifted to me by Japanese-American poet Amy Uyematsu. It belonged to her grandmother, who immigrated to the United States from Japan in the 1920’s or 30’s, and it is believed that she brought this shamisen over with her then. Somehow it survived the Japanese-American internment during WW2, and despite decades of hardship, aside from some broken skins it’s actually in really good shape! No one in the family plays shamisen anymore, so Amy wanted me to have it.

The carving inside, though, is really amazing. I’ve seen ayasugi before, but usually it’s just a simple zig zag pattern. This is the first time I’ve ever seen one like this, with decorative flowers and the character for “luck” mirrored on either side. It really is an incredible piece, and I feel very lucky to have it!

By the by, in case you were wondering, the sticker inside is an old notice recording its most recent repair. In April of the year 16 (what 16, it doesn’t say), Mr. or Ms. Ito had both skins replaced at Okano Instruments in Nihombashi, Tokyo. Unfortunately, it seems like this shop no longer exists, but you could try giving them a call, if you want. The number is 24-1432. … Wait, is that enough numbers?

Super, super, super neat. I wonder if it sounds appreciably different from the usual pattern.

That phone number is missing the area code… I think? Almost three years here and the numbering system still routinely throws me.

Fascinating! And definitely sugoi(yo)!

“木屋岡野楽器店” Kiyo Okano Gakki-ten (Okano Kiyo Musical Instrument Shop)

http://charlie-zhang.music.coocan.jp/MOONH/GAKKIL.html

According to this page, they were around until at least 1925 (Taisho era year 14). Maybe it’s time to get those skins changed. :wink:

Excellent! I can’t imagine bringing a shamisen over to the States at that time. Where would you have ever been able to get it reskinned?

So looks like it was repaired probably 16th year meiji Era if the shop closed 14th taisho. Saw the pics on fb, and they are beautiful!

Beautiful!

Very very nice!!!