Bachido Blogcast E19

The Espresso Rat Pack (James, Ryan and Myself) test out the newly installed Alex II Duetto (which I prefer to call the Fountain of Youth), heavily edited down for time.

Also, a little teaser for one of the best songs on the new CD, Kevin and Masahiro’s Tribute to Grant freestyle on the way to the Konbi, followed by some adventures in Sapporo! All this week on the Blogcast!

Kevin seems rather chipper. :slight_smile:
Also, I like that Masahiro has his yubikake on while driving the car.

Oh my god… You guys had me rolling on the floor. This really reminds me of the good times we have in Japan! Thank you for giving me the honor!
I’m really excited about this album! More than ever! To me when Kyle and Masahiro were jamming sounded a lot like one of the songs off of ‘Departure’.
So awesome! And yeah, Kevin looks really stoked, hehe.

Oh man, it turned out so great. I originally took out the camera to show Kevin’s Konbi uniform, but it turned into so much more! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah man, fun stuff :smiley:

Kevin shows a lot of skill in the freestyle department. He must have a primer on words that rhymes with Reimer.

damn it I need to get up early tomorrow and it’s almost midnight now so too late for a coffee . . . tomorrow . . .

BH,
Is it morning yet in Austria? Time for coffee???
Just to inspire you I am at work right now (early morning) and am
Literally convulsing from caffeine O.D. I wasn’t counting how much I drank but it was more than enough. It’s pretty wonderful though. Think I’m actually starting to hallucinate. Never knew caffeine was a kind of hallucinogen. Good stuff! Anyway just some coffee tales to get you started out there! Oops gotta get back to work.

Hi there! It is evening a bit before 9 pm in Japan. I enjoyed the Kyle’s video so much in between my working hours in the morning.
Masako and Kyle are looking so nice international couple. Be happy ever after!!!

Ah so that’s the lovely masako!
Damn Kyle you REALLY love coffee, I think this whole shamisen thing really is just a way to pay for your habit!
lovin the freestylin by the way

Damn Kyle you REALLY love coffee, I think this whole shamisen thing really is just a way to pay for your habit!

:slight_smile:

actually this morning I encountered the worst vending machine coffee ever BUT I know where to get Illy to go so after dumping this cup I drove an extra mile before accepting any other fare . . .

already earlier I guess also inspired by this site I have been wondering about coffee in japan . . . should start saving for a trip . . .

and there is really no shamisen song or piece about coffee out there? would say it’s up to us then . . .

BH,
Definately save up but don’t expect too much from the coffee out here (ask Kyle). That’s why I drank so much of it, cause I kept thinking if I drink “more” it will get better, but instead I just ended up seeing a lot of weird stuff and had a bit of a hard time talking to passengers /customers etc. as they came in.
Yeah we should all write a coffee tribute Shami song! Kyle hasn’t done much writing as far as I know. This could be a neat challenge for him. I’ll be happy to contribute as well. And anyone else out there with ideas for tunes or riffs that sound caffeine influenced…
Grant?

ah . . . I even like their 404 page . . . www.illy.com/badcoffee.html :slight_smile:

a coffee song yeah this could be a whole series I have just played “under the influence” and thinking about it for half an hour but I lack good technique and instrument so who knows though I shall definitely do a video should I come up with a good coffee tune . . .

ah … I even like their 404 page … www.illy.com/badcoffee.html :slight_smile:

Haha! That’s hilarious! :smiley:

Yo Kevin! After seeing Karl and Anne’s coffee grinding webisode, ( :slight_smile: ) I actually started writing a coffee grinding song! Indeed, I have almost no experience. (Sometimes I think of pleasing melodies or lyrics, but never had the motivation to write it down and refine it) When I first sat down to compose it, I figured I’d just spend five minutes, come up with something stupid and then record it. Well, in the end, I took some time to develop it, and now it’s actually something I might be proud of! :slight_smile:

Fortunately, the Mazzer Mini grinds coffee fast, so it’ll be a short song. :wink: Anywho, the melody is complete, so I’m just rehearsing it to play it fluidly. It’ll be shown on next week’s blogcast.

Speaking of which, time to practice it!

Liam and Kyoko: What can I say, Masako’s awesome! :slight_smile: After an almost 3 year running long-distance relationship, she’s gonna come here for a while and try life together with me and my family. Being swamped with Bachido stuff myself, hopefully she can be convinced to join the Bachido Staff and answer emails for me. :stuck_out_tongue: (Hey, it’s good english practice!)

I’m sure nobody will believe me, but actually, not a single penny of Bachido/Shamisen of Japan profits went into the Espresso Fund. :-P* The Espresso Fund was solely funded with cash I made playing gigs… and somehow I also convinced Mama to donate a hundred or so. :wink:

Oh man, I’m not going to lie. This machine is absolutely fantastic. I’m pulling shots waaay better than 90% of the shots I got at coffee shops.

As I was saving up for it, my family (and myself, for that matter) wondered if I would get buyers remorse afterwards ('cause frankly, It’s no Easy-Bake Oven). So far, not at all! It’s simply fantastic. The folks agree as well. I like making drinks for friends, so it really fun for entertaining.

*Well, for full disclosure, James did buy a book, and the proceeds of that sale did go into the Fund. But he’s my espresso buddy. :wink:

dear lord, you lot and your coffee…
Have a nice cup of british tea XD

Amanda: Hahaha!! Well, you know, a fresh, Single Origin (meaning, not a blend) light roast is so fruity, it almost reminds me of a tea. Plus, it has antioxidants as well, like tea. :slight_smile:

The coffee bean is a fruit, so good coffee should taste fruity, not “brown.” :wink:

Okay, back to a more serious, yet just as light and somewhat on the same page, yet more shamisen-related, note. :wink:
As I practiced the coffee grinding song an hour ago, I thought, should I play it while I grind, or record it first and overlay the song into the video?

Recording the track first will sound a lot better, and I can make it more artsy. However, the live element will be gone. If I play it live, it’ll potentially be funnier, but most likely more mistakes from the pressure. (which does add to the humor)

Everyone, let me know. It’s your choice! :slight_smile:

Kyle,
Knock it out “live” dude! Less editing work plus it’s a good way to reunite with the roots of being a musician. Recall that for centuries musicians did not have other options. Most musicians could never dream of all the editing and fakery we throw out there here in the 21st century with all our computers and home recording studios …
Yeah man! I’d say slap it out like a bosama! You can do it brahh!

…like butter!
Ya know what I’m sayin?

And like tea, a cup in the morning makes you visit the bathroom rather soon…

Aaanyway, I vote for Live as well. Even if something goes wrong, you can just grind some more beans :wink: In fact, you should deliberately mess up so that you have a reason for drinking more coffee.

Musicians in the past may not have had editing, but they could always perform again :wink: Unless they were at a mad king’s court and were beheaded at the first wrong note played. So yeah, stay away from mad kings.

Oh man! I was just about to have lunch with a Mad King! I’m gonna cancel now, after reading Karl’s words ! Just hope I dont get beheaded for canceling.

Oh man! I was just about to have lunch with a Mad King! I’m gonna cancel now, after reading Karl’s words ! Just hope I dont get beheaded for canceling.

You signed your beheading the moment you picked up that gottan at the end of this blogcast :wink: The gall, yes indeed!