Bloodwood

I just got done talking to two different companies near me, they say that they can not import Bloodwood anymore, they did not give me a reason. So it looks like I’m going to be looking for a new type of wood to work with. T-T Or have it shipped from further away if I can find it, but I’d rather look close first.

hmmmms

Found a place that has bloodwood listed so I’m waiting to hear back from them. http://www.bellforestproducts.com

If I can’t get any there, I think I’m going to go with Jatoba (Brazillian Cheryy), its almost as hard as bloodwood (and its cheaper), plus I’ve carved with it before for furniture so that may be the route I take.

Make a pink shamisen!

http://www.bellforestproducts.com/figured-purpleheart/

I actually thought about using Purpleheart wood, maybe I will after I make one or two.

i want a pink shamisen D: no fair >.>
hmms

Third time was not a charm, they are out of Bloodwood, but they do plan on getting some in, they just never know when they will. So I’m going to go with Jatoba, just waiting for my quote on that.

What species of tree is your bloodwood? (or the latin name?)

There may be several substitutes of the same hardness scale (what i’ve been reading up on lately)
Possibly Paduak depending on the value of bloodwood on the janka scale

Bloodwood is 2900 Janka I’m going to use Brazillian Cherry which is 2890 on the Janka so I’m going with it!

sounds good to me, i def want to see pictures too!
i’ve been looking at the harder woods for bachi so have been throwing about wood ideas around the oak part of the scale

I actually think I’m going to go with Cana and spend a bit more money and get Purpleheart so I’ll have a purple Shamisen. If they have it anyway, if not I’ll get Jatoba

^.^ let me know how it goes please :slight_smile:
make sure its not an oily wood too

Be careful with the Purpleheart it is notorious for quickly dulling the edge of whatever you use to cut it. Not that it cant be used, I have seen Purpleheart shamisen. Its just something to take into consideration.

Good Luck.

oooo ^^

Ah! I was just about to make the shamisen out of Jatoba, but the sample I got was rather blonde. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that) Then I found out about bloodwood.

Padauk has a Janka of 1725. Definitely much softer, but looks nice. :slight_smile:

Chris, may I reccomend a Farrier rasp file (used for horse hoofs). It shreds off wood really fast and evenly. :slight_smile: You can get a much more even curve on the dou with a farrier file than a chisel or belt sander (in my experience, at least)

You guys may have seen this, but teacher at MIT made this shamisen out of purpleheart (using Shamisen of Japan) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/chosetec/5325108313/

I will look into getting the rasp, I know I don’t have one, and if I do its buried somewhere in my Grandpa’s Garage…I hadn’t seen the picture before, we’ll see how my first one turns out! If it comes out well I’ll just keep making them and spread them around, I need a new woodworking hobby!

Ah, my first post on Bachido! How exciting. I’m just about to start making my first Shamisen. At any rate:
Bloodwood - I’ve used that wood a number of times on different instruments and love it. The shop that carries exotic woods near me (me in Banff, shop in Calgary, AB) also does not have any bloodwood anymore. In fact, they said that it is becoming very difficult to find any in a decent quality. So I also decided to go with Jatoba.

Hoof rasps - I also use them a lot and highly recommend them for the same reasons that Kyle has mentioned. I would add that oftentimes a hoof rasp that a farrier doesn’t use anymore is perfectly fine for wood work and a lot of times farriers will just give them away. I always continue using my rasps for a long while on wood that I’ve previously used on my horses’ feet.
Cheers!

Welcome Catherine, sounds like you have a plan!

Welcome to Bachido Catherine!
Please, send pictures of your shamisen.