Chords for the Clueless

Hey everyone!

I wanted to ask about playing chords on the Shamisen. I understand the concept slightly, but I am more used to being one note in a chord (in an orchestra) then actually playing them together myself. I have never played guitar, so I am feeling really clueless about it.

I know traditional Shamisen music doesen’t really touch on chords, but since I am strongly interested in playing my favorite songs from movies, games, pop/rock, etc etc, I think it would really help to understand chords better since I will probably be playing solo most of the time.

How would I get started understanding chords? Or is it just a matter of finding music with the chords written in and going along with it? How could I add chords to a song that doesen’t have them? Or find that songs chords to translate into Shamisen? Maybe Piano music? Maybe there could be some basic Shamisen chords to get started with?

Sorry and thanks very much!

It is not so much that chords aren’t used as much is it is that they are not used in the traditional sense.

You would be hard pressed to find a shamisen song made entirely of chords, however, it would not be so difficult to find a song which includes 2-3 note chords.

Some of the first songs I learned, including Akita Bushi, include 2-3 string chords in the song~

A fairly well known brother once told me that before I can start to push past the boundaries of Tsugaru Shamisen, I must truly know, feel and understand what Tsugaru Shamisen is.

I think the more you learn about shamisen, and the more music you listen to, the more things will start to become clear~

Not sure if this response is as helpful as I hoped it to be, but somewhere in all of these jumbled words there is a message to be found~

Cheers

Shamisen is limited to pretty basic chords by itself, as it only has three strings. Basically this means chords that are 1-3-5, a first, a third, and a fifth, or their inversions (don’t know if those are actually easy to reach though, I haven’t tried any of this yet). You can also do chords that are just 1-5, or 1-5-8, which is what you’ll get if you strike the open strings in Niagari tuning. If you wanted to add a chord in a song, you would generally keep the root note that’s already there and build the chord around it.

Like Norm said though, might wait a bit on all of that until you get a feel for the instrument. I understand the appeal of wanting to play songs you are familiar with and enjoy, but rather than trying to play them outright, get a good understanding of the instrument and its roots and then you can come back to your songs and embellish them with Tsugaru flavor; rearrange them and make them your own. Just because a song is arranged in chords doesn’t mean you have to strum the chords to play it, you can work within the structure of those chords to make it something uniquely shamisen, while remaining the same song.

Hope that made sense.

I have been trying to figure out some chord on shamisen like I do with my guitar, but nothing came out so far, and kind of giving up now. So it does not help you but keep on trying!
It is fun to play Oklahoma mixer (the folk dance song familiar in Japan) by ear.

Thank you everyone!

Maybe your right, I do tend to rush into things a little bit. I’ll try to take a step back and focus on my “classic” training i’ll be doing, playing traditional songs and such. I guess my strongest motivation is doing my favorite songs on the Shamisen, but i’m sure that’ll come in time. ^^

I just thought while I have a couple months of down time while I wait for my rental Shamisen I might ask about a few things I was wondering about. Trying to understand chords has been bothering me laitely - especially in regard to a Shamisen.

I haven’t tried it out yet, but I want to try two shamisens tuned in different keys, so that you can play open strings and have resonance going on while playing in harmony. I think that is the way to go. But I mean just check out Kevin’s videos or Mike Penny’s, they are doing chords quite often.

Actually it was Kevin’s videos that got me thinking about chords in the Shamisen in the first place! In particular the Star Wars video, one of my favorites. I was hoping he might chime in on this…but I don’t want to bug him. ^^

Paging Kevin Kmetz… paging Kevin Kmetz…

I wanted to say first that I agree with Norm and Eric, learning the traditional way of playing will give you a base that will stand you in good stead later when you want to experiment with new ways of playing. Still it can be fun to fool around with other musical forms, even at this early stage.
With that in mind, I’ve uploaded a couple of simple chord charts I made a while ago.

The first is here:
Imgur
At the top of the page are a bunch of ways to play I, IV and V chords in niagari (e.g. C-G-C). The black arrow in each row indicates what I think are the easiest fingerings for the particular chords.
The bottom of the page is a simple version of the walking blues that most of you should recognize once you start playing the notes.
It’s a melody line, so it doesn’t actually use chords, but it does follow a chord progression. Once you get it down you can record yourself, then play along live by playing the chords at the top of the page where they are indicated in the score. Or you can record yourself playing the chords then play the melody line along with it.

The second is here:
Imgur
This one just presents some of the same material in a different format. I was trying to show that there are several ways to make any given chord by using a combination of notes that ‘work’ in that chord. For example assuming we are tuned to C-G-C, we can make a C chord in any of the ways you see in the first line. There are even more possibilities than I have shown. The first and third string can be played with 0, 3#, or 6, and the middle string can be played at 0 or 4. Any combination that involves those notes will work as a C chord, including just playing two of the strings instead of all three. To make a C7 chord you need to play 3 on the middle string – this is the note that makes it sound like a C7. So to give a strong feel of switching from C to C7, you can play:
3#------ 3#
4--------3
3#-------3#

The other chords work the same way.
The simplest way to play the I-IV-V chords is by barring the strings with your index finger at 0, 4, and 6 respectively , but these aren’t very interesting, and you’ll get bored of them pretty soon, so you should experiment with the other fingerings.
The last thing I should say is that since the shamisen is fretless, it can be tough to finger the chords accurately so that it sounds in tune – this is why frets were invented, after all.
There is obviously a lot more to say about chords, but I’ll leave it at this for now.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, Gerry! When I get my rental Shamisen i’ll have to play with those. But don’t worry, i’ll make sure I focus on the traditional stuff first to build a base of the basics. I just can’t help wanting to experiment around a little bit too, and hear what my favorite songs sound like Shamisened. ^^

I thought it was very interesting how your “Chords and Walking Blues” page is written. Is that how Shamisen music is normally written? The music my teacher has given me so-far looks more like this:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547251_10151843099615545_1143803621_n.jpg

The left side I mean, that picture is of the middle of the paper. It goes right to left, top to bottom.

Evyn, that is jiuta music (the style of shamisen usually played along with koto).

Attention: Kevin Kmetz and Mike Penny to the front desk please.

Awesome material Gerry! I always wonder how much of this stuff has been put together by fellow enthusiasts, and why it isn’t more available.
I know for a fact that Mike has made a whole “California Tsugaru Shamisen Chord Chart” list, but I haven’t seen it since 5 or 6 years ago. I always wanted a copy of it…

That being said, there is actually very little that is limiting about the Shamisen having three strings. You can play anything really. Unfortunately, seeing as how there are very little resources for this sort of style currently, you either have to have a lot of musical experience to start with, or put in a lot of time getting familiar with the instrument in order to just start throwing chords together.
I’m just now starting to get better at it, but I’m still nowhere close to where I want to be.
In this regard Kevin and Mike have been huge inspirations to me, and I’ve been so happy to be able to perform with them and learn from them over the years.

Also, I do agree that it’s good to focus on the basic traditional material at first. However, you also have to have those days where you just go wild on it and play whatever comes out!
What will also make you loads more capable and comfortable is practicing improvisation. You can do this on your own, with other people, or along with your favorite music. The only tricky part is getting into a similar tuning, or key.

Hello Grant! Thank you so much for chiming in on this! Don’t worry i’ll focus on my classical training first. I did the same when I was learning Viola, so I know where you guys are coming from. ^^

Hopefully Kevin or Mike will jump in as well at some point! I bet they have a wealth of information to share on the subject. Even if not for me, I bet others interested in playing with chords on the Shamisen would benifit from the topic.