Closing the pack case

Hello!

I purchased the pack case from the Bachido store and I noticed that, after i have the shamisen wrapped and tied down, there’s some extra space where i can see the itomaki still and I’m worried about closing it and putting stress on the instrument. It feels like the neck is sitting down on the dividers so that doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

I have the same case as you do. No worries, just stretch the case a little, you can easily do it with your hands. Don’t do it too much though as the case itself can break.
I stretched mine twice, that was a almost a year ago after which I had zero issues.

Cheers! :facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

Thanks for the reply! Could you please clarify what you meant by stretching it? Like, making it wider or longer or was it pushing in on the inner felt parts to make more space?

Thanks

No worries! I just pulled the case appart where I thought it was too close to my Itomaki as they are pretty big and the case was pushing down on them when closed.

Hope this helps!

Okay, I think I got it. Thanks for clarifying. When I looked closer, it did look like the lid of the case was resting on the edge of the itomaki (mine are rather big, too) so I pushed in the edges of the case’s indentation there and it seemed to help a little. The lid still doesn’t come all the way down to the bottom part of the case, but it’s closer. Is it normal for the lid to push down a little bit as you close it and push the tenjin down a bit into the bottom of the case’s padding? I have a tenjin guard on there but I know that part is rather fragile so I want to be careful with it.

Thanks for the help!

I’m glad it helped! I cannot really say much more without seeing the case but I feel that ours are nearly identical and with the same issue.
Just be careful when you’re putting on any pressure on the itomaki as it’s the last thing you want to damage. Otherwise enjoy your case and even more so your shamisen! :facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch::facepunch:

1 Like

Hi @croese!
Props to @Aleksandar_Antonovic for the help! :slight_smile: Yes, sadly (in a way) the “trendy” style for pack cases is to have an incredibly tight fit. Personally I’m a bit annoyed by it, as I just don’t feel great about the itomaki pressing up against the walls. I wrote the supplier about it, but he basically said “the people who like it far outweigh the people who don’t, so it’s probably not going to change” :sweat_smile:

So long story short, yeah, it’s supposed to be that way. :stuck_out_tongue: (for now)

2 Likes

Thanks for additional details, Kyle! The tight fit aside, it really is a nice case and exactly what I was looking for. It seems like I’ve broken it in a bit over this past week since i first posted and my shamisen is safe and secure for our move in a couple weeks. I chipped the end of tenjin before and so I’m now rather paranoid about anything involving the head of the instrument :weary:

Anyways, thanks for all the help!