Doukake question!

Hey everyone! I finally got my shamisen (missing a lot of parts, but they are on their way from bachido!)
I have assembled my shamisen and have gotten to the “Doukake” step.
I have watched the assembling video on the bachido lessons page and Kyle’s own video: Putting Doukake On a Tsugaru Shamisen - YouTube

only thing is, in both videos, the doukake’s bottom is looped, and mine is not!
This means that both the top and bottom strings of the doukake are two strings. I can tie the top of the doukake strings to the sao, but i have no idea how to tie the two bottom strings of the doukake to the “spike”, since mine is not looped!

I’m a complete newbie and would really appreciate all help from all of you wonderful folks! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Another question, how do i put on the kamigoma? I can’t find any videos! By the way this is a nagauta shamisen :slight_smile:

Yo Anton,

I’ve never attached a kamigoma to shamisen before so I can’t help ya with that.

But as far as the doukake goes it’s just easier to see so I hope this video helps…this is just the way my teacher taught me.

Hey Nathan. Thanks for the video, i know have the doukake on.
Not sure if the neo is put on correctly though. Is it supposed to be just put on ? It does not seem to be on very “tightly” and i can’t tighten it. I have not yet recieved the strings so i’ll have to wait a bit before i can put everything together.

Now all i need is to know how i put on the kamigoma :smiley:

Don’t worry. Everything will fit when the itos are placed ! Without the itos the neo does not fit very tightly. Here is for the kamigoma (for a nagauta shamisen)

Thanks a lot guys! :slight_smile:
Do i also glue the koma when i get it?

Just insert the koma between the ito and the skin, the pressure of the ito will keep it in place, no glue is needed. It’s also recommended to remove the koma whenever you’re done playing (in order to loosen the strings and take the stress of the skin).

Thank you! Can use all the great tips i can get!

Hey Anton, there should be plenty of videos on youtube from Kyle regarding this. I would also recommend checking out the technique pack from Masahiro to get going correctly from the start. Even if you have a Nagauta you should be able to learn a lot from it. Just don’t destroy that skin with too much force :slight_smile:

I have the exact same question. I cannot seem to get my Doukake to fit properly.
I wish that I could see the video that is here, but I cannot access it.