First Ever - Bachido Summer Tokyo Gathering (2012)

Toshi, thanks.

A note to those of you coming:

Reservations have been made at the restaurant already.
They have asked for exact numbers so that they can prepare for our arrival.
I have now called them (for the second time today) and given them our numbers.

Additionally, Shamisen shop we will be visiting has prepared small gifts for Yukiki, Kyoko, Jamie, John, and Toshi.

As Toshi has pulled out at the very last minute, I have had to find someone to fill his reservation at the restaurant, and I will be receiving his gift at the shamisen shop.

Ki&Ki are looking forward to seeing all of us tomorrow!!

Let’s hope it doesn’t rain (>_

Special Announcement

Ladies and Gents:
There is currently a 90% chance that we will be graced with a special guest tomorrow at the First Ever Bachido Gathering!!
(^_-)

That is a good news! Should I wait to ask who it is?! Hard to wait!

I visited Tokyo Metropolitan museum in Ueno this afternoon and enjoyed Holland’s painting art. The famous perl earrings lady was exhibited but I also had to look too many people’s heads(; ̄O ̄)

See you REALLY tomorrow all lol

Hello, Bachido members! We had the first gathering successfully and I am on my way home. I guess the meeting is still continuing now, and going to continue until they all fall down.
Let’s wait Nakamura san’s post on it.

Wow, that’s great!! I can’t wait to hear the full report! :smiley:

And Here It Is

Ladies and Gentlemen of Bachido.

I am here to post the first of many updates on the First Ever Bachido Gathering

For now, it is just text, but you can expect videos to be inserted into the post in due time.

I find myself almost in-eloquently at a loss for words as I think back on our day and attempt to share it with you…

And so, I will revert to a word that worked it’s way into the event’s daily vocabulary (mostly on my part lol) ever so frequently … epic

And when I use this word, I do not do so simply in it’s overly used slang sense, but also in terms of it’s true meaning in relation to the day itself:

ep·ic (Definition)

1. Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size.
  2. Heroic and impressive in quality

And so… where to start…

Well, let’s start with the point that really made the event what it was; The Members.

The First Ever Bachido gathering saw people from The U.S., Canada, and even members from Japan, spanning all the way from Nagoya to Aomori.

The day started with a spectacular performance by Ki&Ki in Ueno park.
For any of you who don’t know, Ki&Ki is a Tsugaru Shamisen duo who quite recently went pro and has begun to gain vast popularity at a stunning rate.
The girls graced Ueno park gorgeous in Yukata, and blew everyone away with their sound~
The hour passed us by faster than any of us could have imagined, but nearing the end of the performance, we were graced with the presence of the one and only Kevin Kmetz who without rest, made his way down to Tokyo from the Bachido recording session in Sapporo~

After this, we all made our way to Mikado shamisen shop in Asakusa where the staff had been kind enough to prepare a small gift for all of the members who made their way out~
We took some time, did some shopping, and made our way to a restaurant that would soon exceed our wildest expectations…

And while I could simply describe this as epic and move on, I will do one better, and elaborate~

Makking our way to the restaurant, Kikko (http://www.waentei-kikko.com/kodai_e.html) which is located quite close to Asakusa’s main temple, the mood was that of excitement (and presumably hunger…). As we arrived in front of the restaurant’s beautiful and traditional entrance, anticipation was in the air. But none of us could have guest what would follow…

Our meals, were beautifully put together bento filled with seasonally prepared delicacies and presented just as elegantly.

We talked, we laughed, we bonded.

But the moment the tsugaru shamisen players took the stage, we went quiet. Our beautifully prepared lunches seemingly insignificant to the presence of the players before us.

They started to play.
The room filled with sounds of shamisen the likes of which we could not have prepared our hearts, nor our minds for.
Shamisen played so skillfully, that the sheer power of it’s performance brought Kevin Kmetz to laughter.

And with all of this, it is hard to believe that the day had just begun…

And so with food in our stomachs, and shamisen still ringing in both our hearts and ears, we made our way to a surprisingly nice and well-lit (karaoke) room where the true magic of the day slowly began to unravel and reveal itself.

we embarked into everything from Minyo+Shamisen duets, to playing songs ranging from Rokudan all the way to Super Mario~

And then… a spark.

Someone began to play. Nothing specific or complicated, but rather a phrase, a riff, a base. And before we knew it, there were 2 Shamisen playing this tune. And then a third. The music started to grow and change, organic as the shamisen itself.
Somewhere in the dreamlike state that had overcome us, we could hear drums playing along. It was John. The song, which would be the first of many improvisations for the day, spread like wildfire and set a tone for the rest of the day.

We were hooked, and the sounds of shamisen were growing increasingly infectious.

We played. We talked. We laughed. We bonded.

One hour turned to two. Two turned to three. And when three turned to four, we decided to shift gears.

By this time, 3 members and 1 visitor had departed, and only those who brought their shamisen remained.

We made our way down to the river and set up right in front of the Tokyo Sky Tree.

As the daytime light faded and turned the sky a warm, pacifying color, we played.

The evening faded to night. The Sky Tree lit up, and suddenly, painfully aware of the limited hours remaining, we switched into high-throttle.

We jammed, made songs, did interviews with each other, talked about shamisen life and the future of Tsugaru Shamisen (which we all very much seemed to agree that Bachido can play a major part in).

We played. We talked. We laughed. We bonded.

Boats, stunningly lit in beautiful reds, blues, pinks and oranges, filled the river in front of us. We played for them. Some cheered, some just enjoyed the sounds.

And before we knew it, the night began to come to a close.

We slowly packed up and made our way along the river back to the station.
As we walked, we we talked about bachido, life, and everything in between~

We talked. We laughed. We bonded. And finally… we parted.

A legendary day had taken place. And we had all been witness to it.

And now, I find myself once again at a loss of words to express the feeling that overcomes me…
In any normal case, I would simply say gratitude. But somehow, this word doesn’t seem to carry the power that one would wish it to carry in these circumstances.

So rather I will stick to the words that, in their simplicity, mean so very much…

Thank You

Thank each and every one of you that made this event possible.
Thank you all for your time, efforts, and for some of you, for coming as far as you did~

You may not know it yet, but this is shamisen history in the making~

See you all soon~

-Norm Nakamura

Oh my oh my… :slight_smile: I’m smiling so much as I read this… This event right here is the definition of epic! This indeed was a legendary day.

Congratulations, Norm Nakamura. :slight_smile: You really made this into a fun filled event. I mean, just like in the coffee world, anytime you get enthusiasts (aka, “nerds”) together, it’s always a fun time, but all the events you had lined up, it feels like it was more like… gosh it’s hard to say. It’s like you provided a multi-course meal of an adventure. :slight_smile:

I’m stoked that Kevin got to make it to this. What an awesome last minute surprise! :slight_smile:

No doubt this is the start of future Bachido gatherings. :slight_smile: I’m both encouraged and almost slightly intimidated by your marvelous adventure of an event, to host one here :slight_smile: It feels daunting to try to host it all by oneself. When Xander, Jamie and Grant Woolard move to the Bay Area, I’ll have a team to at least attempt to make an event as magical as the day you planned. :slight_smile:

And though I wasn’t there, I extend my gratitude to you, Norm. I clearly see what a monumental step this meetup you made happen is for the global shamisen community. It was a great time and beneficial for the future. :slight_smile: So, thank you for having the balls to make it happen! :smiley:

I can’t wait to see the video for this!!!

Thanks to Norm for doing all the organizing! And to everyone who showed up–it was so much fun. I go to Asakusa all the time, but I had never been to the minyo sakaba Kikko before–great food and great performers. I had to leave early, but even the short time I was there was outstanding!

Thanks Nakamura san so much for everything you’ve done for us. It was incredibly exciting gathering I 've ever joined. So happy to know three of you kept to be together on and had fun.
Hope to see you all in such a wonderful gathering again!

<3333333 it sounded so awesome hope you guys had fun
wish i could go next time :stuck_out_tongue:

That would be great to see you somewhere on the planet, Cana! Must be for sure at Bachido gathering )^o^(

Yeah Norm truly Rocks for putting that whole thing together!
It was Great to meet everyone in person! I especially enjoyed the utazuke on tsugaru jinku! Gomen ne for our tuning problems to get to the key of E ! すみません! Still fun though! Norm rocks that thing like a pro ladies and gentlemen! Post some vids Norm! For crying out loud! I got to hear Koyko San play Roku Dan Great work! Only got to hear a second of John but would have really liked to hear more. He rocked the drum parts though!It was my first time seeing everyone in person but the one dude I felt like I had known before was Jamie since he has appeared in quite a few videos on the tube and on bachido I recognized much of his mannerisms and the fact that we had conversed over bachido forum posts etc, made it feel pretty natural but kinda trippy at the same time. Sort of the feeling that you have hung out with someone before but you can’t actually recall having ever hung out with them until this moment. but anyway Norm got some good footage I think so I truly look forward to some video posts !
Norm has a very powerful attack for the short time he has been playing! He’s totally got the feel for the instrument!

I was listening to Jamie play at one point when we where hanging by those crazy passing boats. Jamie’s style reminded me of Masahiro Nitta sometimes. I forgot to ask you if you had listened to much of Masahiro’s stuff before? Anyway the gravitation towards 3/4, and major keys were sometimes reminiscent ! Jamie has a great feel for the instrument as well and I look foreword to collaborating with you guys in the near future!

Kyle Abbott 's presence was definitely felt throughout the whole gathering time which was awesome. We were friggin dragging a picture of you around everywhere we went dude! Another surreal element of the day! We had the Kyle Abbott seat in the resteraunt and at the karaoke etc. and every so often there would be the moment to greet Kyle on film etc… Totally classic times !

Bachi On everyone!

Kevin

Here’s a pic that Kyle might enjoy!

Sounds like this event was beyond amazing… I was already sorry I couldn’t go, and I’m even sorrier now. :smiley:

Thanks for the intros to Ki&Ki and Kikko. Hadn’t heard of the girls before, but now that I’ve looked them up on YouTube, I’m loving their stuff! And Kikko looks great - it’s now on my to-do (to-eat?) list when I’m in Tokyo next May. :slight_smile:

Dang…
The net makes the world seem small…
But the wallet proves how big the world really is…
Wish I could have been there too…
Gonna have to start putting money aside for a
Bachido Adventure… : )

Twas a spectacular event indeed!!

And I can honestly say that it would have been even better if more people had brought their shamisen!

Kyle ~ organizing the event may have been a bit of work, but the event itself seemed to flow like water~
It’s amazing what can happen when so many like-minded people get together.
But yes, the goal was to set the bar high.
Honestly, I would like to make this an annual thing.
And if possible, I would love it if the bachido gathering, became an annual bachido convention! (5 year plan baby!)
There is just so much potential.

Kevin ~ Infinite thanks are due for the massive efforts you made to get down here for the gathering. I unfortunately do not possess the necessary literary and descriptive abilities to express my appreciation but I have a feeling that you already have a pretty good idea (^-^). You gave a boost to both my inspiration, and confidence and helped me turn phrases into entire songs.
And honestly speaking, the gathering just would not have been the same without you~

John - Awesome picture man! Thanks so much for making it out! hit me up any time!!

A note on the videos:

The plan is for 2 major and several minor videos

#1. A full-out semi-documentary style video walking through the day and its events. This will be the fun one

#2. A more serious video of the event aiming to promote bachido and hopefully show the potential of this community
(Kyle, when this one is done - which will take time - I will mail you. I have some potentially useful ideas~)

minis: I hope to toss up some mini vids to supplement the main video and enable me to re-post the day’s story with video!!

However, there is a catch…

The Catch:

the video files are massive.
Which takes time in the form of transferring, converting, editing, compiling, and uploading.

I have put in 5 hours so far and have still not managed to transfer all of the 30+Gb of video from my memory cards to my computer (>_

No worries Norm! take your time! it’ll be worth be wait!

And hey! it was thanks to your invitaiton and challenge that I got down there! Thanks for not letting me wus out on this! That’s some true bro hood right there dawg!
cool!
In the end I couldn’t have imagined missing this!
that was awesome when we played Kita no Hibiki
(A shortened version, obviously )
Well… I hope that wasn’t a spoiler or whatever you call it.
Sorry!
But like I said earlier , Norm, you should post some of your Shamisen playing once in a while.I was quite impressed with your feel and bachi sound!
Keep in touch everyone!
Hope Jamie is doing well!
I got an awesome interview with Jamie on my camera!

Thanks for telling us about the gathering!
Reading it really made me smile.
I feel fortunate to be a part of this community with so many gifted and creative people! You made it happen!
I really hope I can meet you guys in the future!

Looking forward to those vids!
Keep rocking!

Thanks Anne! Miss playing those tunes with you and Grant! jack Sparrow, & Grant Woolard & Yasaburo etc. fun times!

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I’m totally for the idea of having an annual gathering. Even if people can’t visit each year I’m sure there will be enough to make it worth the while.

Now I’ve got some footage to edit as well!