Goze

I thought this topic should have its own thread so it is easier to find later, and since it’s an important part of shamisen history. I don’t know if moving posts from other threads is possible, or even something we want to do, so I thought I’d summarize what came up in the original thread (“So, wow, I mentioned Tsugar style to my traditional teacher…”).

Kyoko started by telling us about her mother’s experience:

According to my Mom, people in her area were all usually looking forward to having Goze entertainers probably once a year. At that time, no TV no radio, nothing entertaining, just work and work and work, in their farmland.

As a child Mom experienced looking adults give them some food or rice in return and they had some special house in the area to stay for a while.
I looked wikipedia and it says the same thing in Niigata, Nagano and Gifu prefecture. Mom’s hometown is Nakatsugawa, Gifu.

Mom says people in the area usually serve them food in plates that are special for Goze people. But my mother’s mom, who happens to be my grandmother, said they are all the same people like us and let us use our plates. Washing the plates and cups cleans everything.
My grandma can be very generous or accepting everyone, or just lazy to prepare special extra plates for them. I am happy to inherit her DNA.

I often to see my mother and if you have any questions, please ask me. She is now 85 years old and quite fine. I am happy to make as much interview as I can while she is alive.

Kyoko also put up a link to a short trailer for a goze documentary which Sayuri said was filmed in 1971 (three years before the last group of goze finally gave up on travelling around, and moved to a retirement home).

Lorraine linked to a short article on the website wfmu that has some mp3s that give you an idea of part of the goze repertoire (long ballads).

So I think that catches us up.
I got interested in the goze about 20 years ago when my neighbor in Kyoto found an old LP set of goze recordings blasted it from his stereo for a week straight. It was a lot rougher than the min’you I had been listening to, and when I finally asked him about it, he said that it was “Japanese country blues” (he himself was fronting a three-piece Chicago Blues band at the time). Ever since then I’ve been on the lookout for books and CDs on the goze, and have a shelf full of them now. That record came from a boom in the 70s, about the time the last group of goze (all old women by that time) stopped travelling around and retired. That signaled the end of the tradition as it was originally practiced, though they did record after that, and to this day there are a few women who perform goze songs learned directly from goze.

I met Kobayashi Haru, “The Last Goze” in 2003, just about a year before she died. The wife of a friend of mine in Niigata had wanted to go visit her after seeing a documentary, and when I visited them, she suggested we go together. It was a long trip from Niigata city, involving several trains, and a long bus ride into the mountains to the retirement home where Kobayashi lived. I was thinking that I might interview her, but it turned out to be impossible - she was almost completely deaf by that time, and anyway spoke in such a thick accent that even my friend, who’d lived in Niigata for decades, couldn’t really understand. We ended up communicating through her nurse, who yelled what we said into Kobayashi san’s one good ear, and then translated her answers into comprehensible Japanese for us. It was almost like speaking through a spirit medium. I felt like our visit was really taxing Kobayashi, who seemed to hardly move, and felt sort of bad for being there. finally, I played some shamisen for her, since she couldn’t play one herself anymore, and then she sung us a song in an incredibly powerful voice that moved us all to tears. My last memory of her is from the moment just as we were leaving. The nurse told me to shake her hand, and I stood over this tiny old woman who had graciously put up with our visit, and, except during her song, hardly moved a muscle or changed her facial expression. She was blind, and at this point almost completely deaf, and I wondered if any of what had gone on had gotten through to her. But when I held her hand, I felt this surge of power, and a weird kind of communication seemed to pass between us which made me feel like she still knew exactly what was going on.

Gerald Groemer (the same guy who put out the great book on Tsugaru shamisen) has written a 1200 page book in Japanese on the goze traditions all over Japan. The last I spoke to him, he was working on a shorter book in English, which I am looking forward to, and on the strength of all his other work would recommend sight unseen to anyone interested in the topic.

Loraine, thanks for the link, and Kyoko, thanks for the great story - I’d love to see what else your mother remembers about the goze’s visits to her town.

Gerry! Thanks for your post, and this activates me more on my interview to my Mom. And today I had some free time and looked for Goze DVD movie entitled 「離れ瞽女おりん」(A woman named Orin who had to be away from Goze group)
The DVD has English caption and you can get full understanding.
It is a very very sad story and so beautiful.

I only stumbled upon “goze” the term basically earlier being mentioned but did not know anything in detail about them . . . definitely interested also and thanks for the already posted info, link and experiences . . .

Thank you Kyoko-san for the name of the film, i have managed to get hold of Hanare Goze Orin and i’m really looking forward to it.

Great, everyone!! I am happy to be someone drawing your attention to Goze. It is so sad to know about them but here is the real history of Japanese blind ladies.
It is really really sad to know this for women, but somehow I would like you to see the movie, especially ladies( ; ; )
I am waiting for your review on Hanare Goze Orin.

Thank you for all this great information! I find this subject intensely interesting, and I would be GREATLY interested in hearing the music on that LP, Gerry. Is it in CD or mp3 form? I truly love the music, and sure would like to learn to play and sing it!

What a powerful story, Gerry! I sense a preamble to a feature film in there, or at least a play with a LOT of goze music in it! :wink:

Really touching story Gerry… thank you. It will be shameful not to know these histories as Japanese when I die! I will try to search more on my own, really keen to watch dvd etc, more about shamisen and goze sometime.

Wow… as Sayuri says, that is a touching story.

This reminds me of the efforts to document the stories of blues players from the pre-electric era (lights, recorded music, etc) blues players. Electricity in regular life was no doubt the biggest change in lifestyle. Probably the biggest change since harnessing fire. I think it’s really important to capture the memories/stories from those who are still alive from that era, as it’s the final window into a era gone foreva’.

Kyoko and Gerry: I’d like to make a Bachido article on this. Between Gerry’s story and your interview with your mother, perhaps we could make a collaborate for an article?

Kyle, thanks for your suggestion to make an article! It is quite all right and great honor with me. Whatever I post is just fine to be an honorable article of Bachido even on something I post when drunk.
I am usually more honest than when being sober(^_-)

I found a video of Haru Kobayashi.

That was beautiful, thank you, Sayuri! (Just wish they had kept the music ALL goze, they would play part of a song, and then drop in cinematic stuff _ nice, but I really wanted to hear the whole song.)

I read story about Haru-san on Wikipedia, she’s been through a incredible hard life ( and she passed away at the age of 105!!!), now I’m more facinated about goze story. Since there are no more live goze in Japan ( thier students are trying to preserve their style of music, but they are not blind, so in that sense they cannot be real “Goze” ( literally “Blind ladies”). One episode I was facinated about was one of Haru’s students ( she is not blind) was told that she shouldn’t try to copy “Goze” because at the end of the day her student is not blind, so it’s impossibe to play just like a Goze person. Haru told her she rather respects the way of life of Goze ( the hard lives they’ve been through). As long as she does not forget the respect, audience will feel the soul of Goze.

I realised there are not many accesible sources to know more about the music, which is sad. At the same time, I feel lucky I have a lots of learning source when it comes to Tsugaru shamisen. One stage it was becoming sort of old fashion, but it’s alive again thanks to so many inspired young players these days.

http://www.takadagoze.info/?page_id=2
Here is Takada Goze site. There is a Goze bus tour but unfortunately I cannot join in because it is so far and I am getting so busy. Want to try next year.

I had a little interview to my Mom on Goze today. I have to finalize she has no more info because she was so little girl and does not remember much about it when she met Goze.
Here is maybe the last info.
Goze ladies were three to five, and they came to her parents’ house in warm season. I am so sorry Mom does not remember the songs or even the title of those songs.
She says her mother was religious and nice to Goze ladies accepting and hospitable. She used to serve lunch and tea with pickles or some snacks.
I identified that Goze organization is based on religious belief and that my grandma was faithful to some belief. No matter what religion (I am not a religious kind) they were based on, happy to know the history of Goze ladies were confirmed by my Mom’s statement.

Thanks for the extra information, Kyoko. It all happened so long ago, so I can see why your mother’s memories must be vague, but it’s interesting to hear about the goze from the point of view of a child in a village they visited. From what I’ve read, they were Buddhist, but also saw Benten, the goddess of arts, as a kind of patron saint. There are also a lot of folk beliefs about the goze. For example, in silk producing areas they sang to the silkworms for good luck, and left their broken strings to be put in the rafters with the worms to magically help them produce more silk. Also, like nuns, they had to remain virgins (or were expelled, like the title character in the movie Hanare Goze Orin). I wasn’t sure how much all of this was a part of their public identity, but if your mother specifically remembers these religious associations, it must have been important.

Lorraine, to get back to your question about recordings, there are still some available for sale, but only through Amazon Japan, as far as I can tell. Send me a message, and we can see about how to get some songs to you.

Sayuri: Yes, her life was really hard, in ways that it’s hard to even think about, which makes the respect she finally got in her old age so much sweeter.

It has been so kind of you, Gerry. For sharing important and precious knowledge with us all!!!
Goze had been nothing important but just mom’s small talk until I came to play shamisen recently. I think I will be more involved in looking for the real history on Japanese sub culture which is based on our ancestor’s real life.

I have literally just finished watching the Goze film. I’m going to have to take a while just to let it all sink in…

Amanda! You can ask me through PM on Bachido if you have any questions on the Goze movie “Hanare Goze Orin”
I guess there must be many parts you do not understand because of cultural difference or being young.

Resurrecting this old thread because we started a Goze discussion on Facebook - but I wanted to ask Amanda - where did you get the film? I know this is three years later, but do you still have it? I’d like to watch it, but can’t get hold of it.

If it’s not possible, it’s okay.

Thanks!

I kept ‘ballad of Orin’ and I’m sure it is on my external HDD, however my laptop is being repaired so I have no access to it! Keep reminding me and I will get back to you properly