Help for Nagauta sao length

I have an old Nagauya shamisen from around 1935 with missing parts I am rebuilding. I don’t have Kyle’s book yet so I would be grateful for information of the total length of a nagauta sao. I have 3 pieces including Tenjin, and the two neck pieces near the Dou. The missing piece of neck is from the 4th tsubo to the tenjin. I could use the length of just this piece as well as the overall sao length to the kamigoma. Thanks in advance for any help.

Because of the hatomune, it is not easy to measure the total length of sao (should we follow the curve or not), but for my nagauta shamisen, length from the kamigoma to the 4th is 20 cm. I think my nagauta is a standard dimension. Good luck for your challenge !

Thank you for the needed dimension- I work slowly so it will be quite a while before I finish, but at least now I can proceed.

Hi Allan,
The total lenght of the nagauta shamisen sao (棹) from the kamigoma to the upper edge of the body (dou 胴) is 64 cm.

When measuring the lenght do not follow the curve of hatomune near the body.

Hi Nick. Thanks for the answer concerning the curve of the hatomune. By the way, do you have the measurement for a chuuzao sao ?

Hi Patrick!

According to the book 三味線の知識*邦楽発声法
the length of the hosozao 細棹, chuuzao 中棹 and futozao 太棹 is the same from the kamigoma to the upper edge of the body (dou 胴) 640 mm. The total length from the upper end of the tenjin to the lower end on nakagi (nakagosaki) 中木 is 980 mm. (Do not follow the curve of the sao)

The difference between those is the width of the neck measured just below the chibukuro 乳袋 (rounded part near the upper bridge = kamigoma)

Hosozao = 24.3 - 24.8 mm
Chuuzao = 25.7 - 26.3 mm
Futozao = more than 26.4 mm
Tsugaru = ??? (Please, check Kyles book “Shamisen of Japan”.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks nick. I knew the differences of thickness but it´s not so clear for the length !