Hirosaki Taikai 2013!

Hi everyone!

I apologize if there is already a thread going for this, but I couldn’t find one, so decided to start one myself.

I am shooting to participate in my first Hirosaki Taiki next year and thought it might be cool to get a thread going for all the people who are hoping/planning to go as well. I was thinking we could use this to get us all in one spot as well as a place to ask questions, talk about our progress, swap tips, and maybe have some of the veterans weigh in on things.

Hope to see you all next year! Ganbarimasho-!

Pat

Anne, the other Swedish player, says she plans on going there next year. She’s trying to convince me of going as well. I have not decided yet :slight_smile:

Do you know how much earlier you need to apply for it?

Stickied

Awesome!!! I remember when we were trying to encourage you to compete in the following year’s taikai (2011). :slight_smile: Awesome news!! Most likely I’ll be back in Japan next year for a few weeks. Currently not sure when and where, but I hope to make it!

Hi Karl!

It doesn’t look like info for next years taikai is up yet. Here is the link to their homepage (I think), but it doesn’t seem to have been updated for a while…

http://www.21tsnj.jp/ (I translated it with google)

I will let you know what I can find out though! It would be great to see you both there!

I remember when we were trying to encourage you to compete in the following year’s taikai (2011).

Yeah, I wimped out this year too, but no more! That is, if the world doesn’t end this December :-/

Late feb. or early march is a good deadline to shoot for as far as making your final decision .Otherwise you might be at risk of the tournaments filling up. But earlier the better. And don’t take my word as far as this year/next year 13,They are constantly changing these due date and application rules. I have not yet personally acquainted myself with what those of 2013 will be ?

But yeah Karl. You should come on out! Fight !Karl! Go for it man"!
Viking Spirit! Come and dare to represent the Jongara of Sweden!
You can do it!!!
Woooooooo!
Anyway, hope to see many of you next spring!

Late feb. or early march is a good deadline to shoot for as far as making your final decision

Thanks dude!

Thanks for the inspiration :slight_smile: I’ll practice as much as possible and I will decide on new years eve. Haha since it’s only me and Anne in Sweden, I kinda got a Ryu & Ken rivalry feeling now :smiley:

So Pat, do you have any videos of you playing? It would be interesting to see!

http://m.youtube.com/user/engrish07

there’s my youtube channel. it’s pretty outdated now, but i’m hoping to get something up soonish. unfortunately i think ive back tracked a bit, so i need to put down the banjo and get back to practicing! haha.
how about you? i’d love to see some of your playing as well!

hello, can you pls tell me more about this competition?? i know nearly nothing about it… just that its the annual shamisen “world-cup” and players from everywhere gather and play… must be great experience, would love to go too…

what are the requirements??
are there any set pieces?
can you play ur own songs? style?
how long should the performance be??
when is it?
how much does the entry cost?
ta

hi sid!

i dont know too much about it either, but from what i could gather from thr website for last years taikai its broken up into groups based on experience level and the time limit looks to be around 2-3min. im pretty sure you have to play one of the main 5 pieces from the tsugaru repertoire, or at the very least thats what most people do.

it should be taking place in early may, but i dont know much about how to register or what the cost is, sorry. hopefully the website will be updated soon!

it does seem like a great experience! hope to see you there!

what are the main 5 pieces from tsugaru repertoire???

jongala, aiya bushi… ??

what are the main 5 pieces from tsugaru repertoire???

like tsugaru jonkarabushi, ayabushi, yosarebushi (??),…i cant remember the rest :confused: sorry!

yeah, i think kyle has a list up in the instructional section, and i know they are on his book for sure.

Tsugaru folk music tradition is known for it’s “Go dai minyo!” the five great folk songs of Tsugaru are

Tsugaru Yosare Bushi
Tsugaru San Sagari bushi
Tsugaru Ohara bushi
Tsugaru Aiya bushi
Tsugaru Jongara bushi

Geez Pat, leave you alone for a few years and THIS happens?

Kidding dude, it’s all good!

Kevin - Do you think you would ever dare to play a style/song of your own creation, not based on one of the GoDai. at the Taikai???
Or is it abit of a no-no???

surriusly, haha, thanks Kevin!

hmm ok, i know jongara and aya bushi , the sansagari a little bit too, but i thought that yosare bushi and ohara bushi is just a variation of jonara bushi, it sounds quite same , notes are very same, so what is the difference?? is it the rhythms??

Well the simple way it ends up working out in Hirosaki is that most folk just end up playing Jongara bushi. Throughout the Hirosaki tai Kai we do hear the occasional Yosare bushi and Aiya bushi .this past year there were a few San Sagari bushis! but tradtionally those who play anything but jongara are expected not to win anything. Especially the Yuu Sho (top prize).

All that’s been breaking down recently though. The tai Kai’s are changing a little each year. There are more and more gai koku Jin players showing up. Gareth, Dmitri, Mike Penny (from back in the early days),we sometimes see the Ryan sisters, Joshua and others, and of course there’s been Kyle, Grant and me as well! There also seems to be more counterpoint and harmony creeping into the group performances which were traditionally mostly just unison lines of some variation of jongara bushi. And I think Shibata won this past year with a non jongara piece . Agatsuma is also famous for his “Yosare” Yuu Sho at the Kanagi Tai Kai.

As far as playing your original work. Well it’s simply not what those “tai Kai’s” are about. For example, there is an actual formula you are expected to follow for the Hirosaki tai Kai…

It is as follows…

First you are judged on your initial strike on the ichi no Ito.
Then your choushi awase, meaning how you go through the open strings and breath life into each string etc.

Secondly you are expected to display your strength on the Ichi no Ito . Here you are judged on strength and stamina as well as how clear and “in tune” your tone is.

Being that this is a “Tsugaru shamisen” tournament, you are then expected to launch into some kind of Tsugaru style rhythm. The one most suited for solo performance is jongara bushi so 99%of the time
That is what it ends up being.

From this point you are judged on how you can express the spirit of the folk song you are representing. Since most are playing jongara this ends up being almost always an expression in a minor pentatonic scale with certain shifting intervals and stylistic melodic leaps and shapes and phrases being thrown in to indicate connection to the actual melody of the folk song. Here you are judged on how well you actually know the tune and are able to play around with the melody, build it, tear it apart and improvise while still remaining true to the original spirit etc.

Other points you are judged on is your bachi skills.
.they will judge the bouciness and volume of your bachi strike technique. Believe it or not… Yes, they DO listen for the “Loudest”
Shamisen , but it’s more than that. It’s also about the loudest and clearest and most resonant and most far reaching in terms of how far the tone itself can sonically travel throughout the stadium.

And finally they will judge you on your ability to swell and decompress throughout your performance. The one thing they are looking for is “Kyou-jakku” ! Meaning the “contrast” between Powerful and weak forces . In simple western term this means Dynamics! Specifically integrating crescendos and decescendos.
So the dynamic swelling of phrases is one thing they are looking and listening for.

One last additional secret I can reveal to you all is that they actually judge the length of a repeated phrase. Generally when you get to a phrase like trill on a high 16 or 18 position the tendency is to repeat it, build it up and move on to the next thing. But what they are looking for is someone who can hold that phrase for a Loooooooong time and build it up…Slllllloooooowwlly but powerfully and then releas it into the next section.

So as you can see Liam with a formula like this about the most original you can get is to Come up with your own sequence of notes and phrases that all fit into th jongara phrase book .

Kanagi tai Kais are a little less stiff though. A little more laid back.
Except for that there is a part of that tai Kai when some one in the audience will shout out the name of one of the go dai Minyos and you will be expected to jam it on the spot. Kinda scary.

Hirosaki is the real pressure and glory tai Kai though!
Rock that one folks! Let’s do it next year !