Hirosaki Taikai 2013!

That gottan song from the end of the bachido blogcast would surely cause a standing ovation.

Pat, I just made my older videos public. Then there’s the meetup with fellow Swedish player Anne - The Viking Taikai.

I got a video response from Kevin regarding my sloppy Rokudan video from a month back or so. I’ve been practicing patiently to correct that sloppiness and it’s giving results! I plan on recording a new version soon after I’ve moved.

http://www.youtube.com/user/magwillsoton/videos

I listened to some songs from your channel, cool stuff!

uau

So basically, they are judging all the aspects I see in need of improvement HAHA! Well, what fun is there if you don’t have stuff to improve on? :smiley: (Yeah, I’ll keep telling myself that)

hmm ok, i know jongara and aya bushi , the sansagari a little bit too, but i thought that yosare bushi and ohara bushi is just a variation of jonara bushi, it sounds quite same , notes are very same, so what is the difference?? is it the rhythms??

Sid,
I’m guessing you are listening to mostly solo performances of these pieces. When done as a Shamisen solo, these tunes can sound misleadingly similar. I think if you have never heard “blues” music ever before in your life and sat through a random set in a blues bar, you may think they just played the same song ten times in a row, but the experts and blues lovers will be able to tell the difference right away. similarly Yosare bushi is a distinct tune, yet it’s rhythmic structure and melodic material are quite identical to jongara naka bushi (the middle one of the Jonagar series). Ohara and San Sagari are in similar rhythms as well and yet have a distinct tune and flow that goes with each. San Sagari often implements phrases similar if not identical to Aiya and Yosare bushi etc. aiya bushi often utilizes the most distinctly different "major " scale quality, although even that can be paralleled in San Sagari.
When observing this list it would seem that jongara bushi (assuming shin jongara) is the only tune in a 4 beat. Yet even that can break down as 4beat versions of Ohara and even aiya are becoming more widely accepted.

I know it might seem frustratingly complicated when encountering all these different tunes and forms of tunes. One way to break it down into simplicity is just to throw all the details out the window and simply say
“this is a folk tradition built in the spirit of spontaneity and improvisation so the given forms are really just road maps for the musical performer to use to navigate the songs.”

Again, this is similar to blues or even jazz. When doing Utazuke it is common for the Shamisen player to not be expected to be in any particular place in a song whatsoever and is obligated to follow the flow of the singer completely .

This is why everyone is expected to “create” their own koku biki for the tai Kai’s. To try and recapture the pressure of having to play something from within ones own mind rather than something predetermined.
The Hirosaki tournaments will judge more the ability of a player to navigate the form of Jonagara bushi rather than any kind of originality or advanced technique being on display.

Kevin,
thanks for your messages, they are a great help to me …

i dont understand two terms you used: ‘utazuke’ and ‘koku biki’…i guess it is some kind of improvisational technique??

i kind of understand more of the differences between the songs, but still have no clear idea about it…you are talking about the distinct melodies, to me jongara and the other songs are just set of riffs, which could be used to improvise… thats how i learn, i always learn a new bar or two of a small section or riff and thus building my ‘vocabulary’ of tsugaru improv…
i can hear melodies in for example Ringo bushi, or Yasaburo bushi, but the Jongara is a bit different, more riff-like…
was jongara originally sung to or is it purely instrumental improv style???
thanks a mil

Sid,
No prob! This is what Bachido is for, after all!
Uta=song. Zuke comes from Tsuke as in the verb “tsukeru”.
Basically it referes to accompanying a singer.

Since this was the original function of Shamisen players in northern Japan in the old days Utazuke is considered by many traditionalists to be the roots of the solo performances which came later in history.

Kyoku biki (thanks auto spell check)
Kyoku =song or tune. Biki comes from hiki as in past tense hiku.
(to play or to have played). Literally “song play” But in Tsugaru terms Kyokubiki refers to the execution of one’s original composition based on one of the go dai minyo(five great songs of Tsugaru). The word is not used for any original interpretation of any other song such as kase no yakko odori, Yasaburo or kuroishi Yosare. In other words The term Kyokubiki is only used for one of the five great songs.

I just happened to think that I should really bring this to Kyle’s attention. The bachido site should have audio examples of the
“Go dai minyo!” included somewhere so people can listen.

I imagine a lot of people starting out on Shamisen today have come here via the Yoshida Brothers or another more modern example. I can fully understand that by simply listening to the sound and emotion of the music one can easily come to the same conclusion as you have (that these are just collections of riffs to improvise with).
And although there is some truth to that, I feel entirely justified in recommending that you and everyone take some time to just listen to the “songs”. Yes, these are truly “songs”.

Tsugaru Jongara bushi has, as we all know, evolved into the staple of Tsugaru folk songs and is without a doubt the most influential and symbolic song of all that have been reinterpreted into the arena of modern solo performance.

Jongara bushi’s origins are somewhat cloaked in mystery and the tune itself cannot be attributed to any one composer. Historians have traced the roots of the melody to very old songs of Edo which were carried by foot up into the northern land of Aomori by blind wandering female Shamisen players who played and sang for their survival. (watch the Zatoichi movies). The melodies of various tunes were “stolen” by the Tsugaru folk who then added their own lyrics and changed the rhythm a bit. Over time they began to sing lyrics about their home land “Ahhhhh…Tsugaru, our great land, where the apples are always plentiful, the women are pretty and we have our wonderful Jongara which we sing into the night…”

Problem was that by the time someone else got up to sing it, the lyrics would be slightly different and the melody of the song was even slightly different. In this way it was hard to pin down the original Jongara bushi and over time the form and structure changed so much that today when we look back into history there are quite a few versions of Jongara bushi on display.

Most players today break them down into three basic forms…

Jongara kyuu bushi (the old version)
Jongara Naka bushi (the middle version)
Jongara “shin” bushi (the current version)

The “shin” form is more or less the “kyobiki” of today’s
Jongara bushi and is what you hear all day long at the Tournaments
From morning to sunset.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/XdhI4ckwXrc

Here’s an Ohara bushi I always dug.

Not the best example but still, you can hear the “song”

Here is the song of Aiya bushi

Thanks, Kevin - really enjoyed that “clean” version of Ohara bushi (with a young-ish Takahashi Chikuzan!). And that is definitely the wildest/liveliest Aiya bushi I’ve ever seen!!

Thank you Linda. Glad you liked the Ohara bushi post. That’s always been one of my fav Chikuzan clips (yeah…he was young back then) its really too bad there are not more well documented films featuring his collaborations with the singer Narita Unchiku (or maybe there are but I just haven’t seen them yet). Anyway good to hear from the chordscanada person herself! Always wanted to mention to you that I really appreciate your work with helping to keep music alive and available. ありがとう !

Anyway good to hear from the chordscanada person herself! Always wanted to mention to you that I really appreciate your work with helping to keep music alive and available. ありがとう !

ケビンさん、とんでもありません!And it’s nice to finally communicate “directly” with you, too. I’ve been following your shamisen stuff since (I think) the first vids you ever put up on YouTube! :smiley: BTW, anytime you (or anyone here) wants to hear from me, feel free to let me know, anytime. I’m a friendly type - you can ask Kyle. :wink:

its really too bad there are not more well documented films featuring his collaborations with the singer Narita Unchiku (or maybe there are but I just haven’t seen them yet).

Does “our” Gerry possibly have some additional vids hidden in his collection, by any chance? It’s worth asking him, he’s probably got them if anyone does - he’s a veritable wealth of all things Tsugaru shamisen! (as I think some of you know…)

Good idea! Gerry is always so generous about sharing music. He recently sent me something in good old fashioned snail mail. It was natsukashii to say the least to have to actually open something with my hands as opposed to with a click on a screen. I’ll try to write to him at some point. Been meaning to anyway. Thanks again Linda!

I surely plan to attend the taikai again this next Spring 2013!

Ideally we could plan this so that anyone from Bachido would be able to come to Aomori ken a little early and train with us in Misawa before the taikai dates (May 2nd,3rd, and 4th I believe). Perhaps staying in a hotel and us all pitching in for a rental van that we can drive everyone over to Hirosaki with.
Then we would stay one night in Hirosaki, and then the next day when the tournament was over we would hop back in the van and drive over to Kanagi and stay the night there. There’s usually a space where we can practice there until it gets a bit later.
The next morning we get up and go to the Kanagi tai kai and later head back home to Misawa.

It would be amazing if we could start trying to organize this!

If there is going to be a group of us next spring and we are all planning to participate let’s Definately plan to enter the group division.
It’s far enough into the future that I think we can all start learning something little by little and have it done by next spring.

I dunno. That’s kind of been something I have always wanted to see… Tsugaru Gai koku Jin Group ATTACK! Just think it would be such an epic image to get us all on stage at once. Even if our performance sucks, at the very least it’s gonna make for some good photos!

You gotta admit.

Thanks for the explanation Kevin I appreciate it! I knew it was a test of how well you knew the genre and style of Tsugaru but I didn’t know you were really judged on those minor things, regarding technique etc.
I like the idea about entering the group division, it would be nerve racking to play in front people at the taikai but it could be really fun to do it in a group, it feels like you we on more of a mission together :stuck_out_tongue:

Right on Liam! Come out to Japan next spring!

yeah and the group should definitely put loads of practice into spinning shamisens…perhaps in domino style??? or even random spinning throughout the piece. it could be a feature of the performance…a group called: “Spinning shamisens”…

Thank you all for the detailed explanation on Taikai. I think I need a couple of week for further understanding cause my mother tongue is Japanese and has some time lag in English.
I really come to think I must go to Aomori to see the next Taikai!
I went to see Nagoya Taikai yesterday and found it wonderful. Players ranging from Aomori to Kyushu came to take part in and so heated performance were seen. Nagoya Taikai may be one of the small version of Aomori Taikai, still so exciting.
Our favorite KiKi got first prize in the Duo section. But other participants were also so good!

Hey Pat, Kyle (yeah think about it Kyle), Grant, Anne, Karl (That’s Right!)Kyoko, Liam and/or anyone else who is interested in entering next years tai Kai, how about we just go for Kita no Hibiki again?

1.) It’ll give Masahiro Nitta an incentive to join us!

2.)Since many of us know it already it will be easy to coach others over skype or any other form of contact.and it’ll be easy to post vids addressing certain sections over time etc.

3.) it’s in Kyle’s book! The full notation of both parts are fully documented at the end of the book Shamisen of Japan. Hence anyone with the book can begin working on it immediately!

4.) it should be technically within the grasp of most of us who have been working on the techniques of Tsugaru Shamisen.

5.) There are plenty of easy to find examples of it up on YouTube for everyone to listen to and study for reference!

Well there you have it.
Soooooooooooooooo???

Naw… I’m just kidding! I’d be down with whatever you guys wanted to do for a group piece . . . That is, if it were to actually work out and a good number of us make it out!

But Kita no Hibiki is just a suggestion!
I think it would make sense and probably make mr. Hiroshi Nitta
Super Proud, ya know what I’m saying?