Konpira fune fune

Konnichiwa everyone!

Does anyone happen to have (or know where to acquire) the shamisen notation for a song called Konpira fune fune?

Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks!

I would have wagered that song didn’t have notation (that has been publicly made available) considering it is a traditional geisha/maiko tune. Most songs do not have shamisen notation/tabbing… Notation/tabbing for shamisen is really only a recent development in it’s history; for a long time everything was just taught by ear and watching one’s instructor.

However, with the magic of Google, finding the musical notation for it was not at all difficult. In fact, it was the first link that came up when I searched “konpira fune fune tab”. Again, this is the musical notation; not a shamisen tab.

Here is the link to the resource:

http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=22058

Please do feel free to use Google of your own accord to search for tabs/notation in the future~

It’s in shamisen notation in book 2 of the “Hauta zokkyoku-shuu” (はうた俗曲集) series. Here is what the cover looks like (this is book one, but book two looks exactly the same except for the volume number):

Thank you so much! Now, just one more question - which song is Konpira fune fune? LOL…

Don’t have the book in front of me now, so I can’t tell you the page number, but I did find an alphabetical index of the book online, and this is what the song title looks like:
こんぴら船々
So if you look down the pieces in the index page for one with that little weird square-ish mark at the end of its line, that should be what you’re looking for. (I think it’s the only piece in the book that will have it.)

The song is a folk tune from Kagawa Prefecture, Shikoku, and it references the famous shrine to the sea god, Konpira, located there.

Regarding shamisen music notation, it is as old as the musical instrument itself. Ancient Chinese style tabs are still available for its predecessor, the Sanshin. To be certain, there is a myriad of tab styles in Japan, as they were developed according to genre and region. To complicate things further, the nodes were also named differently according to genre. Standardized notation is fairly recent, but older teachers still adhere to their traditional tabs and node nomenclature.

I personally can read the recent modern tabs used lately in min’yo and tsugaru styles, as well as older jiuta tablature. I started out learning jiuta, so when I started learning min’yo I was confused. In jiuta, open strings are “1,” where they are “0” in modern notation.

I happen to have a version of Konpira Fune Fune, and I can scan and post once I find out how.

My first attempt at sharing.

Here you are!

http://imgur.com/a7ldE86

thanks for that, i have book one and am still trying to make sense of it

Amanda, if you need any help, shout, or upload something here and I’m sure some Bachido members could assist.