Kubo and the Two Strings soundtrack! I`m Freaking Out!

Hey everyone! Well as many of you know Hibiki Ichikawa and I did the Shamisen work for the new film Kubo and the Two Strings. But what many of you may not know is that apart from hearing a little bit of the soundtrack at a sound studio in Hollywood while meeting with the Laika crew, I have actually not heard the final product and also have not even seen the film yet. So I was totally freaking out today when I discovered this little snipet of the soundtrack someone posted on youtube. This one features me on Shamisen all throughout the track but my big moments of glory are the solo which starts around 2:00 minutes and some original improvising which they included just about 4:15 into it. I really didnt know how much of my Shamisen was going to be featured but Im very excited especially for the 4:15 moment when I get to bust out some of my original Shamisen licks! Please take a listen and let me know what you think! Bachi On Kyle Abbott and everyone here at Bachido! Love you guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ShR8GGx7M&feature=youtu.be

Awesome! I got to listen to the whole sound track yesterday and was wondering who was on what parts. Congrats on the track, it sounds great. So did you record all of your parts in isolation of the rest of the recording process? I’d love to know how they organized the recording for this. Beatles songs are always tricky to cover, but I think you all nailed it.

Thank You!!! Well technically I was recording in isolation but not really because the whole time I was incessantly on Skype with Dario (the composer) so for me it never felt like that. If anything I felt very much like I was in a studio recording with Dario but the only real difference was that we could never actually physically go out and grab a coffee or something during breaks (being on opposite sides of the earth and all.)

Cool, it definitely had the Kevin Kmetz sound! Awesome!

This is getting big! Congratulations . . .

Excellent!

I’ve been watching a ton of making of videos online for Kubo since the art and science behind it is mind blowing, but I’ve been hoping to get a sneak peak at the making of the music. Especially with the incorporation of the shamisen as a part of the score and the story. Finally we get to see and hear from the man behind the shamisen for “While my Guitar Gently Weeps”.

I cannot view this video! The video was removed :frowning:

I cant see it either! What the hell!

The original post’s link is down and the official YouTube video of the song is edited. Boo. Here’s an unofficial version of the full song I found.

Wow! Great! Really great! But I think this song is a cover… But I think the title is not appropriated, because there isn’t a guitar… maybe “while my shamisen gently weeps” or “while my koto gently weeps”… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

a cover version of an old song by the beatles it is and while I don’t have the kubo cd yet it says 5:23 on the track listing of the cd at amazon so does sound or look like the official sound track on cd does include the solo and improvisations too . . .

actually I also covered it in a shorter clip a couple of minutes ago . . . :slight_smile:

I don’t know why, but the shamisen sounds strange… I think it’s because you’re far from the microphone or who for it
Is there also an instrumental version (without vocals) of this song?

HI Sakura, Well I felt the same actually. I think my Shamisen sounds a bit distant in the recording. But the thrill of being on a soundtrack is so big that I dont care too much. In my own recordings I always make sure to put the Shamisen upfront. I dont think the sound mixing crew was very familiar with how to mix Shamisen.

But the recording is from someone called B H…

sakura the clip shows me playing on the shamisen phone app that I made and also I recorded it with my old and crap tablet so overall I would say that clip is not meant to be a serious cover version . . . :slight_smile:

So it’s a virtual shamisen?

yes it is a virtual shamisen so to speak and it covers about the first half of the neck up to finger position 10 on each of the strings . . . also I will release an update later this week to further improve it a bit I am really sorry that you can’t try it out on your apple iphone as the app is and will be only for android phones …

But I can use a virtual shamisen in my computer! :slight_smile:
Jiuta, as for now…
I’m searching for a tsugaru kontakt library, but no one is released

Finally got around to seeing this movie and it was super exciting to see Kevin’s name appear at least twice in the credits :slight_smile: