I was looking up info on uchi (hammer ons) in Google and found a research abstract about learning how to play shamisen in virtual reality. I’ve been following VR for years now and the thought of using it for teaching music is pretty intriguing. Any plans for VR with the new schoolhouse format?
Oh… YES!!! Man, that would be so cool to do! Just gotta wait for VR headsets to get a bit more mainstream.
On a similar note of taking advantage of new technology, I’m planning to start Live lessons via Facebook Live. It would be quite simple and interactive. (Making static video lessons is fine, but the live element really makes it more fun) It would be free, though I’d connect it with a Patreon account for donations. Look forward to it next month or so!
Oh… YES!!! Man, that would be so cool to do! Just gotta wait for VR headsets to get a bit more mainstream.
On a similar note of taking advantage of new technology, I’m planning to start Live lessons via Facebook Live. It would be quite simple and interactive. (Making static video lessons is fine, but the live element really makes it more fun) It would be free, though I’d connect it with a Patreon account for donations. Look forward to it next month or so!
Virtual reality. It’s like Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, etc. Right now they’re almost all used for video games, but this sounds like an amazing opportunity for shamisen!
Virtual reality is usually considered a headset with screens that covers your eyes giving you a 3D view of objects and space around you. So you can create a “virtual reality” on a computer and trick your brain into thinking you’re there. Recent advancements in technology have allowed the headsets to be small enough and cheap enough to provide a quality experience at home with a powerful enough computer or game console. It involves head tracking so it knows where you’re looking and can track you’re movement around a space. Combine that with hand tracking and it sound like these researchers are using it to teach people how to play shamisen. I doubt we’ll see this outside of a lab for several years, but it show’s how you can teach real world skills in virtual reality.
Kyle, the Facebook live lesson sounds pretty cool. Looking forward to it.