Looking for a shamisen teacher/sensei in Strasbourg, France

Hi Guys,

I heard you guys have a really great community here! I’m currently learning Indian classical flute (bansuri) and it has been about a year now and I am at the intermediate level (sadly, I found a teacher just recently as I was learning from multiple online sources from the last 1 year). I’m really interested in learning the Japanese shamisen but the thing is, I don’t want to go through the no teacher experience that I had with bansuri as when I actually got a teacher, I got to know the mistakes that I was doing when playing the instrument and by the time my teacher pointed them out, it was already too late :frowning: Those mistakes had already became a habit for me.

I don’t want the same thing to happen with me when I start learning shamisen. I’m currently living in Strasbourg, France but don’t know if there are any shamisen classes here where I can learn the proper techniques to hold the instrument and learn it’s disciplines. Need your help guys!

Kind Regards,
Kanoz.

Hi Kanoz:

I’m a “lapsed” Tsugaru shamisen player and a jiuta shamisen teacher in Canada. There is a senior jiuta teacher in France (Strasbourg? not sure) that you might want to contact. Please try Fumie HIHARA, Cours de KOTO et de SHAMISEN | Fumie Hihara ::: Koto & Shamisen.

Of course, there are a number of differences in the playing techniques between jiuta and Tsugaru, but there are also a number of commonalities. So give that you’re having a bit of difficulty finding any shamisen teacher near you, this might at least get you started. Good luck!

Regards,
–Linda