My first Shamisen build

Hello Bachido Community!

This is my first post here so a little introduction included in the post.

I am a first year luthier student from Finland. I study at Ikaalisten käsi- ja taidetollisuusoppilaitos which has a 2 year program to learn to build stringed instruments. The official study plan is mainly guitars due to the limited time of the studies.

During our free time we are allowed to do any projects we like. I found last spring the book on building and playing Shamisen and am attempting to build one. I have no idea or experience on playing one nor have I seen one elsewhere than pictures before.

I would like to find of course from Finland some people that are familiar with/play/build the instrument.

Thank you for the book & Bachido!

• Kirsi

Hi Kirsi!

Welcome to Bachido! (Please forgive the late reply!)

Thank you for introducing yourself here. That’s great to hear that you are studying to be a luthier! :slight_smile: There are several shamisen-playing members here from Finland, though I’m not sure how often they check the forum. I would recommend visiting the map (http://bachido.com/community/local/explore) and seeing members who might be in your area.

There is one member, Niki Kari in Helsinki, who learned how to build shamisen in Japan. I’m sure he would have great advice. Definitely send him a message! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:
Kyle

Yeah, Nick probably would be your first stop for any questions you still have after reading Kyle’s book.

Welcome to a fine hobby!

Hi Kirsi! Welcome to bachido.

I live in Helsinki and I have made already 4 nagauta shamisens and 1 koto. Some day I would like to make a tsugaru shamisen, too.
During these months I have been repairing Japanese moso biwa.

Please, check this page I send several years ago.

Best regards!
Nick Kari

Kirsi,
Here is another page where you can have an idea of my shamisen projects.

Nick Kari

Hi,

Thanks for the replies all :slight_smile:

Nick Kari your projects look really nice. I am also using Padauk this first time for all the wooden parts. I plan to try to make one out of less exotic materials(from Finland point of view) in the future if possible.

Where in Japan did you learn to build?

Have a nice Sunday!

I am quite busy with the “official” school projects so the Shamisen build is getting a bit of a slow start but if you like you can follow from my portfolio: