Need to learn Oiran parade style music within 1.5 weeks

Hi all,

I have been asked to play Shamisen to provide live music for an Oiran parade
for an Edo style event at a bar in the city in around a week and a half. It is a collaboration between a Kimono designer and a Japanese Geisha style performer.

Here is the Shamisen sound style they want:

I can improvise slowly on the ringo bushi scale but does anyone have any music score I can study to get closer to the real music?

This event is happening the following week and i’d love to do a great job.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Alex,

Given the background… I’d suggest poking around nagauta pieces for ideas.

That video was taken in a Edo Period theme park that does Oiran processions daily. So that’d probably be your best bet…

Failing that, you could probably adapt Fukumitsu Medeta

It’s more of a drinking song tho :0

Thanks Christopher, good advice.

Sounds like they will be happy with this simple repetition of note/chords. There may also be a shinobue flute player with me.

Almost looks like they walk to the rythem of the the Shamisen so I think that’s why it may be suitable. I’m sure it’s fine but any recommendations on how to make it sound better/more suitable as I practice?

Like you said, you’re there for rhythm, so I wouldn’t stress too much. Particularly if a shinobue is around! They’ll carry shifts in melody as long as you keep the beat.

I think you could easily get away with your example. Just keep your tempo stable. It shifted very slightly around the 40 second mark, although you corrected it around the 50 second mark.

I’ll think about other points as the day goes on.

Try to keep your bachi closer to the rim of the dou, as well. Check out this video for an idea of how close you should be.

Great advice, thanks for the feedback on my video. Good points and I see what you mean with the closeness to the rim. I will practice with that in mind. Thanks a bunch.

Great advice, thanks for the feedback on my video. Good points and I see what you mean with the closeness to the rim. I will practice with that in mind. Thanks a bunch.

Just wanted to be clear in that I actually really like the tone you’re getting! I’m just nit-picking :p.

Thanks mate, it’s great to know the tone sounds good, piece of mind when I perform haha ^-^

So they asked me to walk with the parade and play for the duration of 20 - 30 minutes, that’s so long and repetitious, I guess it’s a custom.

My next question is what is the best way to be able to walk and play my Shamisen, my dou doesn’t have any attach points on the top side for a shamisen neck strap. Do you think I can use my Sanshin strap or other ideas?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7mK4jCbatm3YmNBNGdNbUQ5WDg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7mK4jCbatm3M19KT2t4RHhpS3M

Hi Alex. You can try this traditional option : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEYmJueNj9Y That will preserve your dou.

Thanks Patrick, That’s an interesting option, like a long piece of material to cradle it, also looks like it keeps it upright.

I am using my Sanshin neck strap the end is on the spike and the neo is on top of the strap hole. Then my teacher said to tie the other side to the tenjin but it’s really not comfortable to play like that I found so I tied it at the base of the sou next to the dou. This method means you have to keep your arm rested on the dou in normal playing position to keep the sou from falling down. Not great but maybe it’s the best I can do for this Saturday walking/playing.

Interesting idea indeed Patrick! Just wonder how it would work with a heavy tsugaru. I guess my Nagauta would fit perfectly though…