Position markers - book and video

Hello. Nice to meet you! A total newbie here. ;-D

Just received my reskinned used Minyo (Chuzao, I believe) back from Kyle-the-Wonderful yesterday. Started on the Crash Course and I have a noob question: the position market cm is different from noted on the book. Am I missing something?

Just in case the picture didn’t load. On the video, it says position 6 is on 26.5cm. But the book says 26.6. Just 1mm difference, that’s fine. But then it says position 9 is at 35.5cm. While the book says 35.1. Now it’s 4mm! Position 10 is at 5mm difference. What should I do? :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much!!

1 Like

I used the numbers in the book and it’s working fine. I don’t think it’s an exact science anyway since the location of the koma can alter the sound slightly as well, as well as the tuning of the instrument.

1 Like

Oh thank you! :pray:
Just stick to one then. Good to know! Also good that I don’t have perfect pitch. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I used position #4 as the guide because it is right on the line where the two pieces of the sao meet.

Ah. That’s true. Good point! My #4 is at 20cm. Same as the book. So I can just follow the book.

Or tune the string to a perfect C and check if #4 is on Fa… Because there are 6 dot markings done by the original owner (including the #4) with nail polish. The 5 lower neck dots are NOT on the book or video position. :joy:

Haha, it’s definitely a stresfull time, putting on the markers, haha.
If you use position 4, you will have the best results as 4 is set in stone. (Wood)
Also, the position of your koma will affect the tuning so pay attention to that as well. I learned the hard way, took me a week amd a few emails to Kyle, haha. :man_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t5:

Thank you, Aleksandar! Use #4 as the base, it is!
Haha. I have already bugged Kyle enough. But figured I should stop being shy and ask the community, to alleviate his work load.
Thank you for helping out this noob!

You can never bug him enough so worry not! And fire away any questions, anytime!

1 Like

Thank you MitochondrialInertia and Aleksandar, for the kind help. I have put on gold stickers on most positions. (Although I only need 3, 4, 6, 9 and 10 for the crash course song Kuroishi Yosare) Did not get Fujaku because I didn’t like how it looks. But seems like my solution is messier… :woman_facepalming:t2: Oh well. It’s done! Thanks to you guys! :bowing_woman:t2:

1 Like

Those look really nice!

where do you get little gold marker stickers like that?

I made those. I have a circut cutting machine and made the stickers with metallic vinyl. :wink:

1 Like