Spalted sao shamisen build

I think some update photos are overdue…I have some details to smooth out yet, but it’s starting to look quite awesome IMO.

5 Likes

Ooh, that’s looking gorgeous. The spalting is in a really nice pattern and the contrast with the fingerboard wood is cool.

2 Likes

NIIIICE!!! It is awesome and I also agree with MeanOwl :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I lost track of time but I’ll say 10 hours later…

I did it! No more light is getting around any of the tenjin/sao joint. Holding it up to light really helped. I did some work on shaping the area as well. I still have to drill for the itomaki and make sure I’m done shaping before I glue it up.

2 Likes

~2 hours later…I drilled the itomaki holes in the tenjin and shaped up the tenjin. Very happy with it. The angles of the itomaki could be better but will be fine until I can upgrade the itomaki to ebony and brass inserts. The itomaki might be tight enough to grip well but I have some rosin in the mail to make sure. I’m going to wait till later to glue the tenjin and sao just in case.

1 hour later…I used an angle grinder with a carving blade to rough out the inner dou. With a consistent grain, it will cut as smooth as your hand is steady, and doesn’t kick back. It went so well that it will only take 1-2 hours to fine tune and sand. Perfect tool for the job.

4 Likes

Happy Holidays!

I’m not a fan of Xmas, but I got a new Dremel (old one stopped working) and a Sawari!

1-2 hours later…I trimmed the inner edges of the dou and used my gauge to recheck the depth and curve of the inner dou and ended up chiseling out enough chips to make a softball. It needs to be done right or I’ll have to split it apart later. Learned that one from Kyle Sensei.

1 Like

Poor old dremel but… Yaaay!! Lucky lucky to get a new one and the sawari! :smile: Can´t wait to see more!

How’s the build coming along?

I’ve been busy so I haven’t done anything new. I did test out the new dremel and smooth out the base of the tenjin a little but nothing too noticeable. I am looking at getting back into it soon. I need a clear head to address truing the corners of the dou before shaping the exterior and gluing.

I did get my sawari in the mail! It’s nice. And also cut and shaped a kamigoma in brass rod.

2 Likes

Looks nice and smooth