The Bachido Mon

Like I said at the end of the video, this doesn’t have to be the “finally final” version. If you think something should be added or changed, please voice your opinion. We want the best possible Mon, so there’s nothing wrong with making last minute changes. :slight_smile:

The mon looks amazing. love every thing about it. its has a very traditional style that you can see in other mon, kind of a beauty of simplicity. the symmetry is great its very reminiscent of a mitsu-tomoe. can’t wait to represent bachido with that shirt.

Great Work!

Thanks Gwyn! I’m glad you like it! Yeah, I’m stoked that it’s mitsu-tomoe-esque. At first, I was originally trying to fit both that and bachis inside the same circle. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just looked at it next to Nitta’s mon and found that the Bachido mon looked rather sparse. So I just updated now.

What do people think of this? I got the idea from another traditional mon, so it’s legit. If you like it, should the flower be smaller or bigger?

Couldn’t get any more pefect than that, bro! I hope no changes are made to it. I really like it just as it is!
Sorry. Disagree with the dangerous feeling being a problem.
Maybe because it is reminiscent of other mons that have been
Associated with the dark side of fighting spirit philosophy???

However I don’t find this unappealing in the least and would cringe at the thought of replacing that energy with something more Disney or friendly etc.

Bachido is indeed a friendly site but that is no reason to try to make the mon any less authentic. the Bachido Mon is badass. But it isn’t threatening or discouraging. It feels myterious and dark but isn’t unwelcoming or overwhelming. On the contrary I believe it’s appeal is everything that Mr. Abbott said but perceived through a different set of eyes that don’t judge things critically.

My instinct tells me Mr. Abbott’s response is flawed in the following way. Kyle is his son, working on a project that needs guidance and requires his fatherly opinion.

But consider this. . .

What would his response to this symbol be if someone were to delete the memory of his two sons, of Santa Cruz and of any association with music, Japan, Shakuhachi and various other elements of his life. Next step= teleport him onto a deep wooded path and place the bachido mon on display for him to see.
Under these circumstances, with no obligation to criticize , with no sons to give opinions to… With no vast storehouse of memories associated with his past acheivments and adventures to draw judgement from…With only the felt presence of his immediate experience to go by and with a desparation to find meaning in any object placed in his path…what then would Mr. Abbott see when he looks upon it?

One thing I have an intuitive sense that Mr. Abbott is perhaps not able or willing to let into his field of vision is the fact that many young people who are finding their way in the world and becoming interested in musical instruments are going to stumble upon the Bachido mon under very similar circumstances.

Therefore in my opinion it is more important that this symbol draws in a new fresh batch of folks and less important that we try to mess with it until it appeals to “everyone”.

Just some thoughts. Sorry if I am being too candid.

Oh I just noticed this new idea you posted here.
Naww, やっばり. Don’t like it as much. My eyes and brain feel weighted down With things I don’t want to see in this one, whereas the original one achieved perfection in its simplicity. Now it feel like a bunch of stuff just grew around something that used to be perfect.

Don’t like the design either. They look like annoying coffins or knives trying to compete with something that was once perfect.

If the idea is to make it less dangerous or less threatening I would consider this a fail. I feel more threatened and the danger element suddenly feels violent and disagreeable. I would understand Mr. Abbott’s description of he were referring to This one more so than the first.

Sorry Kyle and everyone.
I just think there is a time to admit when something is perfect
And that any futile attempt at improvement will just be a waste of time…or worse could lead to the ultimate tragedy…

Hahaha! Good stuff, good stuff. :wink: I don’t think it goes deep as that though. His opinion is just light as pancakes. Meaning, he doesn’t care if I agree or disagree, but is just giving his two cents. A 2nd opinion. I do value differing opinions (makes the best possible product!), so it’s all good.

Besides, did you know that he came up with the name, “Bachido”? :slight_smile:

Anywho, the new mon idea was spurred as I was working on the album art for the new CD. I had the simple mon next to Nitta san’s, and I couldn’t help but feel that it was thin and sparse. Take a look.

Whereas this seems more balanced, at least to me.

Well, now I’m not sure… :wink:

Hmmm,
Well unfortunately for me I will have to resign the fate of this to the majority’s vote. So if everyone likes the second one, I’ll have to just bear it (although It may take a few weeks of therapy to get over it)

But I’ll give you a scientific reason why the first one is far superior.
In term of brainwaves and neural interpretation, the first one enters my consciousness like an arrow. My brain has no time to analyse this. It’s appeal is direct. The three bachis are obvious and It’s badassness is without question.

In contrast, the second one causes my brainwaves to stall. There is a cool symbol but Something is wrong with it.it is being obstructed. Immediately my neurons begin searching for a reason and before I know it I have completely lost the initial shockwave of awesomeness,

Love the mon man!

I have shown it to a few people to canvass for opinions
and I expected unanimous love, but a couple people pointed out a few things

As a non-shamisen player, if you were to look at it, 3 people told me their initial reaction was “steering wheel”
(I think if we have it on a kimono or shamisen case people might be able to guess, but a t-shirt might make us look like car fanatics lol)

A designer that I showed it to this morning, tossed out the idea of having 3 lines of different thickness (like the string of a shamisen) pass through one of the sides on a diagonal angle
(I am partial to this idea because this actually matches a design I was working on lol)

And a guy at a kimono shop instantly replied with* “why are there 3 bachi? what is the meaning/purpose/sombolism/etc…”

Just a few good points I thought we might want to think through.

as you can tell from my Bachido Gathering Trailer, I love the mon!

I completely agree with Kevin the second mon seems a little to have a little to much going on. the first one is absolutely perfect in it simplicity. the addition of the grey chrysanthemum pattern seems to upset the visual balance somehow, at least to my eye.

The original is great the absence of lines really makes a strong impact.

By the way I have really been looking forward to this and it has completely delivered.

1 Like

I agree with Kevin. I think it’s good as is. It is simple, but with a certain edge to it, that is immensely appealing. It does look a little harsh, but I think that’s where the beauty is. It does not, and I might argue should not, strictly appeal to Japanese tastes in terms of what constitutes a mon. If it raises some eyebrows when viewed by Japanese people, or anyone else for that matter, that’s a good thing. That’s a win. Keep the mon. I’d buy a shirt with just a centered image of the mon and nothing else.

Hey dudes,

Well, I have to agree. :wink: It is the most badass.

However, because this is a very important decision, I do want as many opinions as possible. Though I too am strongly rooting for the first one, I want to try out as many ideas as people offer.

I sent it to Masahiro, who liked the flower, and suggested a Sakura blossom.

What do y’all think of this?

1 Like

As a non-shamisen player, if you were to look at it, 3 people told me their initial reaction was “steering wheel”

Haha!! Actually, I had thought the same when we first made it. Mama still thinks that.

A designer that I showed it to this morning, tossed out the idea of having 3 lines of different thickness (like the string of a shamisen) pass through one of the sides on a diagonal angle
(I am partial to this idea because this actually matches a design I was working on lol)

Oooh! interesting idea!! All three in one direction? If it’s through the bottom, everything is lined up, but if it goes through one diagonal direction, it feels like something should go through the other diagonal.

Gggggggggg…waaaah!
Sorry again, and of course, just my two cents but doesn’t that just look way too unquestionably similar to the Nitta one?
Just saying…
I am still holding firm to my opinion that the original Mon has reached perfection to a level of 100% and therefore should be placed in the “Perfectly complete and no need to spend one more minute second guessing” category.

Just my opinion of course.

I agree on radioactivity, steering wheel, good looking mon and about everything being said here.

I do not like the secondary color in the backdrop in the second example. It doesn’t look clean enough.

If you want to have sakura blossoms they need to match the geometry of the bachi much better so that it looks legit. Right now the geometries are clashing. It’s what Kevin was talking about. The brain tries to find logical and regular patterns/geometries and when they are so different but still overlapping, you have to stop and think and then the impact of a cool logo is lost.

While this may break the regular mon look, one idea could be to have a ring and then the bachi hand that we have at the top of the page inside. The black bachi would just be outlined with a thin white color. I love that hand, and people would ask about it because they see a hand doing something, and that is something they can relate to. Then there would be no “Steering Wheel Hoarders Association” or “Warning Bachihazard” confusion. Just sayin.

For the T-shirts, my opinion is that the mon was a little big on the front side. When it is positioned on the side I think logos should be quite small. If you center the whole thing in the middle it can be much bigger.

The back seemed to be a little martial arts inspired :stuck_out_tongue: I think the red color can get a little darker and not so bright. I don’t know how it will end up on the actual shirt though.

Yea as a personal opinion, I think the first and original design is beautiful in every way!

It has impact, it has strength, it has soul!

However after showing it to people and getting the reactions I have gotten, it has put a little unrest in my mind (>_

Well guys , this is so simple but so awesome at the same time :smiley: ! the only thing that scares me is the iSS , sounds like a bad joke with the initials , but sounds awesome as well , international shamisen society wow ! Will i be able to order a giant flag of this logo for my futur workshop ? :smiley:

Oh, those three-fold symmetry symbols

PS. yes. don’t read the thread @ reply immediately.

1 Like

oh wow ^.^ its very pretty would be an excellent badge, middle of back piece/ shoulder piece maybe even on a headband

seems simple enough to be on anything :slight_smile: