First Shirt Design (with Bachido Mon!)

Alright folks! I guess this needs little introduction. Let’s make a shirt we’d all actually want to wear!

So, here’s my thought for the front/back side. Unleash your opinions, and to those talented with photoshop, pictorial suggestions!

Back:

Front:

I have been wondering what to say, but nothing. They both back and front are perfect!!!

What exactly is that logo? I’ve seen something like it on Taiko drums, and those little things are suppose to be bachi right?

There is something about the Bachido text… Maybe it needs a combination of outlines to make look more like the front page text here at the website, or it needs to be in a different red hue.

Also, before you sell them you should try them out on people of different sizes. Women or men with big breasts shouldn’t have to live with a distorted logo, if you know what I mean.

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh Geez I am so glad we have the presence of Karl Hedlund here! Who else would show such a deep concern for big breasts!? Oh man, seriously… I Laughed! Now my mood has been uplifted! (I was already feeling in high spirits but this added a new dimension!) Hahahahaha!

Anyway love the shirt design! I Do agree with Karl’s observation on the text too!

Well i love them both , but if it was just me i would make them both front side , so we could choose , i’de love to have that big bachido in the front of my t-shirt !

I totlly agree with Florian, its kool, but we want it on the front so we can see it :p.

Altho I would love to put the mon with kanji on the back of a leather jacket or something :smiley:

sure although then I would hope for 2 versions cause I am one of those so not into huge anythings on the front side . . . I would even like a shirt that would have an upsized basic mon centered on the backside without explanation that would be badass or whatever but there can’t be 100 versions so just in general I like subtle little mon on the front as suggested and larger print on the back side . . .

would subtle little mon centered on the front look nice too? again 100 versions . . . and left is surely the usual and nice position . . .

They both back and front are perfect

Agree.

i’de love to have that big bachido in the front of my t-shirt

its kool, but we want it on the front so we can see it

Agree. (Hey, I’m a Gemini, I’m entitled to have opposing opinions! {lol})

How about Big Bachido thingie in front and mon on the sleeve?

I raise you two points {g}:

1. Bachido text in front because most people see/meet each other head on, not walking away. (Now, now…resist the temptation, all!) Also, if in front, it will be visible when worn playing shamisen (for instance, by the Bachido taikai group!)

2. You might want to move the mon to the other side. Why? Because, when you play shamisen, your left hand and the sao will interfere with its beautifulness. If you put it on the R side instead, since the R arm abducts a bit to hold the dou, the mon will be visible in all its glory.

The end. :smiley:

How about Big Bachido thingie in front and mon on the sleeve?

Ho this is genius Linda !

Yeah the mon on the sleeve is really nice. Actually, on both sleeves!

What do you guys think about having a single or crossed shamisen on the length of the back, the bachido logo with the text as it is on the front (with improved outlining), and dual mons on the sleeves?

Imagine it. You are walking past someone. They see your unusual T-shirt and they read “Bachido, international shamisen society” and go like what the hell is that?

They keep wondering, so they follow you with their eyes while you walk past each other. They see the cool mon on the sleeve, and finally when they have their heads almost 180 degrees turned around, they see a mighty shamisen which will make them think “Hey, I know that instrument from somewhere!”

And thus, another potential shamisen player has been born.

It just feels so perfect.

PS. I’m glad it gave you some good laughs Kevin, but it’s a legitimate issue for some people! Heck, with the rate I’m consuming chocolate I might even be in that department soon!

I don’t personally feel like it’s amazingly important to have “Bachido” plastered on the front of my shirt. If someone is going to meet me in the first place and are indeed curious, they are going to find out what the symbol means whether it has the text or not. And even if it does say “Bachido”, that still only serves to raise more questions.

If I was trying to advertise for Bachido and actually gain more attention by wearing the shirt, I would have a business card logo with my phone #, website, etc plastered dead center on the chest and back.

I feel like it is more of a way for us to represent the community and all wear them together in big groups for our taikai’s, etc. It is more about each individual going out of their way to inspire people on their own than it is for our clothing to do the explaining for us. I can’t remember the last time I took the time to google something I saw on someone’s clothes…

I do LIKE the logo on the back, however the font is tired and overused. It’s clean, which is nice. but I’ve always been a fan of symmetry in typography. So perhaps all capitals, a different font, something like that?

Just ideas.

Oh, and the mon on only one sleeve. I would feel like we’re on a football team or something if we had them on both. Although I do understand the appeal of it being more like the traditional kimono style, which is clever.

hmm could you see what my bf’s pic he drew us would look like on a shirt? it looks the part i think ^^
i would definately wear it

We could always have multiple shirts aswell? so theres plenty for the choosing ^^ lets say 3-5 ish
cant wear one shirt everyday now can yeh?

Great posts everyone!!

Anthony:

What exactly is that logo? I’ve seen something like it on Taiko drums, and those little things are suppose to be bachi right?

It has similarity to the mitu-tomoe, (or as I call it, the “triple ying-yang”) which is the on Taiko and Sanshin. :slight_smile:

Karl:

There is something about the Bachido text… Maybe it needs a combination of outlines to make look more like the front page text here at the website, or it needs to be in a different red hue.

Gotcha! White-ish outline with a muted red? I’ll give that a try and post results.

Women or men with big breasts shouldn’t have to live with a distorted logo, if you know what I mean.

Hahaha!!! :smiley: Man, that was unexpected. And “if you know what I mean” was just the perfect touch!
Well, being the resident Activist for Boob Awareness & Appreciation, you are in charge of figuring out where designs should be placed to extenuate a woman’s bustline. :slight_smile:
You’ve just been promoted! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah the mon on the sleeve is really nice. Actually, on both sleeves!

That would look great too! Do you (or anyone reading this) know of any online companies that print on the sleeves? Grant tells me a few local companies in Santa Cruz can do it, but I’d prefer to order online, if possible. The only sites I find only print on the front/back, so if there are any online places that print on the sleeves, let me know! :slight_smile:

What do you guys think about having a single or crossed shamisen on the length of the back, the bachido logo with the text as it is on the front (with improved outlining), and dual mons on the sleeves?

That would look awesome! Grant had a thought like that, “The Bachido Jolly Rodger”, as he put it. :wink:
Definitely, crossed shamisen or bachi would be good for another shirt.

Florian:

Well i love them both , but if it was just me i would make them both front side , so we could choose , i’de love to have that big bachido in the front of my t-shirt

Noted! :slight_smile: Would you just want the logo on the front, or this?

Linda:

ou might want to move the mon to the other side. Why? Because, when you play shamisen, your left hand and the sao will interfere with its beautifulness.

Oooooooh!!! Great point!!! I didn’t think of that at all.

Grant:

If I was trying to advertise for Bachido and actually gain more attention by wearing the shirt, I would have a business card logo with my phone #, website, etc plastered dead center on the chest and back.

I understand that nobody wants to look like a walking billboard, but I don’t think it’s that black and white. If done right, tasteful “advertising” can, and should, be done.

If someone is going to meet me in the first place and are indeed curious, they are going to find out what the symbol means whether it has the text or not…It is more about each individual going out of their way to inspire people on their own than it is for our clothing to do the explaining for us.

I strongly disagree. I made shirts for our Karate club at UCSC which said “UCSC Karate Club” on it, complete with the JKA tiger image. One of our members told me he got many people walking up to him, interested in joining the club due to his club shirt. I guarantee you that if he wore a shirt with only the tiger image and no text, he wouldn’t have gotten recruits.

Likewise. A passerby seeing a shirt with just the Bachido logo? Sure, they may think it’s a cool shirt, but unless someone is really outgoing, they’ll just keep walking. Let’s face it. As far as public recognition, the Bachido logo isn’t exactly a Jesus Fish or a Yamaka. :wink: The logo has no significant connection with shamisen. To most, it will look like a steering wheel. Potentially, a huge shamisen enthusiast might pass by, see the shirt, but continue walking because the shamisen connection is not obvious. Relying on someone’s own charisma to walk up and ask is just not a recipe for success.

However, if the word “shamisen” is on there, it gives the passerby some hint of what the logo is about. If they know/love shamisen, they are going to have 100+ times more motivation to make a connection.

I’m not a hipster, and I don’t want Bachido to be a “you’ve probably never heard of it” thing. :wink:

however the font is tired and overused.

Well, just like what Linda was saying about the mon, the font is part of the branding. Once a font is recognized/established, it’s set. Changing it only restarts the establishing process. After all, the president of Costco doesn’t say, “I’m getting tired of this font, let’s change it.” :wink:

Personally, I really like it because the slight almost-sloppy “handwrittenness” of it gives an open, accessible feeling to me. To me, all-caps (BACHIDO) feels “in-your-face” and unwelcoming. Bachido is already badass on it’s own merits, any motion in intimidating goes against the goal of Bachido (at least, the goal I’ve always had). The only way I’ll discourage members is by having membership fees. :wink: (Don’t worry, I won’t… yet :stuck_out_tongue: )

If people don’t like the current font, let’s find that out now because once it’s set, it won’t be changed without good reason. “Tired” is not a reason. :wink:

Cana:

i would definately wear it
Of course you would, he’s your boyfriend! Conflict of interests! :wink: I would wear anything Masako made me (well, to a point)

Just joking, of course. I think it’s a great design, and would wear it too.

We definitely don’t need to restrict ourselves to one shirt.

cant wear one shirt everyday now can yeh?

I do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well not just the logo , the all Bachido international society + the logo in the front would look great . I love the mon with the the two Kanjis .

Florian: Something like this?

Ho gosh , YES :smiley: take my money !