Musescore Shamisen Font

(To run the program: win32install→bin→MuseScore.exe)

Examples & templates:

Hello,
Since some months, I’m working on Musescore code to make it support Shamisen notation;
At first it was very inefficient because there was many glyphs problems (layout mostly)
It’s still in development and I’ll submit it to the developers to let them see it it can be implemented or not but for the test version that I currently have, it’s very near the goal and it already can produce scores

It allow to have the Bunka-fu 文化譜 notation with it’s different tunings
And also the Nagauta notations: 小十郎譜; 弥之介譜

I’ll post again here if there is progression.

Here is the result of my actual version:
Musescore 3.0
test

PDF render
pdf

You can hear a sample of the song here
(Modified for test purpose)

1 Like

That is absolutely amazing! Otsukaresamadesu :stuck_out_tongue:

Really though if that’s approved that’ll be a huge help to sharing scores since the old online tab reader Karl made has been down for some time. Thank you for your hard work!

Hi ! Thanks in advance ! Let us know, please.

As I’m not an expert in programmation and in a very difficult period, it may took a time before it will be really implemented in the release version; maybe I’ll publish here my testing version if some people want experiment it or want print some scores

Thank You so much for sharing. That’s awesome. You’re awesome.

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/MuseScore/musescore/build/1.0.1043/artifacts

Run “nightly.bat”

Basic instructions:
When create new instrument → search shamisen and modify it’s staff type to Tab. shamisen
There is actually a bug which add the stems, just right click on the staff → staff properties → advanced style properties (apply even if nothing change and return to the score, stem disappears): here you have all shamisen style parameters (font size, continuous line or not): if you enable “Letters” instead of “numbers” you switch to nagauta notation
For note input, it’s as the other styles in Musescore
Just note that if you add a note, the rests will not be shown automatically (you should add the 16th manually after a 8th+dot for example)
Last thing: Silence is in this version considered as the highest note possible (so just up the note until the silence glyph appears), if you want make it silent, just select it and disable “play” in the inspector
If you want do that quickly: select silence, right click, select, more, and select “same pitch/same string”, then all silences of the string will be selected and you can mute them all in once

To modify the tuning: staff properties → edit string data (if you want nagauta all the strings (1 or 3) should be the lowest pitch of the tuning (ex: B E B → B B B)

To change the note position (string 1 → 2) without change the pitch, maintain CTRL and move the notes with the arrow keys (up/down)

Last remark: The 3.0 of musescore is unstable
You should save your work as much as possible to avoid problems

I know that actually it’s very not convenient, but it actually can produce scores and all of this should be improved in the future

Awesome. Great job ! Merci Jean-Christophe !

Here is an inside preview of the test version
(here it’s a duo shamisen/piano)

That’s incredible, sounds amazing too! This might change the way people here get scores, it’ll be so much easier with a program like this.

New preview:

By the way, due to the fact that I’m not programmer and can’t code it well and by lack of time; I don’t think I can (myself) improve this version of Musescore

The only thing I can do is re-make a new version with the same modifications (because Musescore 3.0 is evolving with other people modifications and was, when I made the actual version of my shamisen test, very unstable)

That would be great anyway Jean-Christophe. I already enjoy the first version ! Thanks !

I post here the new debug version
My modifications haven’t changed but since I posted it, many improves have been made on Musescore 3, which makes this version way more stable
I also post some files which can be useful with my debug version (examples I made, empty sheets…)

(To run the program: win32install→bin→MuseScore.exe)
https://mega.nz/#!WSpzEAwb!3_GS4uSCnFu85pTA1kPfVnsYihC9Wh9JR5udQB2auSg

Examples & templates:
https://mega.nz/#!SP5RUILA!nxFON5jsCgJ-TE510ES8gGcpmKAaTu3NO8ZFgTmpEHI

Wow! This is great! Thanks! I use Finale for my scores, maybe I’d try using something else finally!

1 Like

I just saw your thread and wanted to express how Amazon your program is. Thank you soo much for making it and sharing this with us

1 Like

I’d like to ask - how can I set this up on MuseScore? Does it work like a plugin?

Hi, unfortunately no
When I tried to do a shamisen adaptation for musescore I wasnt able to program a plugin, maybe today with more time it can be doable, but for the version I made, the only way is to use it as a standalone
As it can bug frequently, the best option is to edit a file in an official version of musescore and use this one only to have a bunkafu version

1 Like

Okay, I understand. How do I set this up and use it? I’m really interested in using this, so please respond as soon as possible. Just tell me what files to download and how to install them.

(I use MuseScore 4 btw)

You should unzip and run Musescore.exe in win32install/bin
Then you can add a shamisen and modify its tablature and edit strings properties by right clic
If you want to add a silence the only way is to do the max pitch note and silence it manually via the note properties, you can do it quickly by select notes with the same pitch on the same string via the options
Save frequently as it can crash often

1 Like